Top Shelf Aquatics

Southdown

dreamweaver_gcotb

dreamweaver_gcotb

Does anyone know who might carry Southdown or Yardright in the Tampa, FL area?

I've checked Wal-Mart, Lowes and Home Depot.

Gina

If I was you, I would just drive over to Clearwater and scoop up some sand...take it home and cure it!! Unless your sand in Tampa looks as good as Clearwaters. I did that when I use to live in florida with my first SW tank....and I had nice coralline everywere plus a few cute little sand fleas....lol.

Just a wild thought!!!!!!

LITTLEFISHEE

Nanobound: How do you cure beach sand? Is it like curing live rock? Do you think I could introduce any disease into my tank with beach sand? What about sand fleas?

Cure it the same as you would live rock. And yes by all means.......get it in an area people don't usually travel on. Heck walk out into the ocean and start scooping.

If your not sure of contaminates....take a water sample home with you first and test the parameters. Then if you want to for further percautions....put it in a medicated bath to make sure it is free of parisites. If you do this, make sure you have a means to remove the medication. Such as by mechanical filtration with carbon and etc.

But I just scooped and placed in the tank, and let the cycle begin. Didn't have any problems with mine. But I'm not suggesting you do it this way...the descision is yours to make. Good Luck

Lol !!! Sand Fleas...I was just kidding. They do exist, but they will not survive submerged under complete water. One nice thing about the ocean sand is the little living creatures you will bring home. Donot be surprised when you see some little (clam...not sure what to call them) shells sneaking up out of your sand ( they are quick). They are excellant sand cleaners...and fascinating to watch.

dreamweaver_gcotb

The sand and water can't be too bad around here. I know Tampa Bay Saltwater, Triton Marine and Gulf-view all collect their live rock and live sand from these waters.

Gina

I would think it would depend on where at the beach you scoop it up from.

Who's to say that "Daddy daddy I have to go to the bathroom, nevermind daddy", didn't happen in the exact same spot your grabbing sand.:P

LITTLEFISHEE

Maybe if you go and collect it after the tide has just gone back out. Perhaps we could get a pluthera of sea creatures:teehee:

Does anyone advise against collecting sand from the east coast?

dreamweaver_gcotb

Well, I did it! I got some sand from the beach. I've put it in the tank and there are little clams, snails and little bugs so tiny I can barely see them and only if the light hits just right. :) I'm going to add a bit more sand to my tank soon because I want to get some sand from the Keys too. Just to add a bit more biodiversity.

Archived