Pod Your Reef

Reef Massacre - Please Read

Mnesarchus

I woke up this morning and found these two both dead, lying almost right beside each other on the sand. Yesterday I added a Lawnmower Blenny, just slightly bigger than the wrasse. All levels are fine. How the hell can a peaceful, herbivorous fish kill a (usually) agressive carnivorious, fast moving fish and a shrimp in one night?

I doubt that it was the lawnmower blenny. Perhaps it was something else you introduced upon induction of the fish into the tank?

dang...i'm sorry to hear that. i don't think it could be the lawnmower....

do you have any other type of fish in there? maybe the electricity went out and they died to lack of oxygen? that's what happened to my friend's tank. only thing that was left was the corals and a chromis.

Crap! I hate when senseless things like that happen. Water temps okay?

If it was the Blenny, which I doubt, I'm sure you'll find marks from the fight on their bodies.

Weird.

Maybe your PH went down too much for some reason during the night. I actually had the same two things plus a yellow tang die one night.

Did you use any type of medication in the tank recently? or did you have alot of air bubbles going into the tank at some point recently from a protein skimmer or sump, if so those might be a factor too.

A few nights before my stuff died I had used a low dosage of Erythromycin for red algae which caused my skimmer to release millions of air bubbles into the display tank over a few days, so i'm pretty sure that was a big part of their loss.

perhaps you accidentally introduced acclimation water from the LFS shipping bag into your tank, which may have had contaminants? just guessing..

i had a sailfin algae blenny that was really aggresive.. it killed my peppermint shrimp within hours of introducein it to my 50 gal tank... i seen the whole murder.. it was bad... then the next morning my lil bitty gobie was dead.. sigh.. ive seen blennies to be really aggresive to other rock dwellin animals... so i tried to take him out since i had another gobie that was hiding from the blenny... took me about 2 weeks to get him out... i had to take all my rocks out to get him out.... and when i finally got him out my gobie was skinny and scared... so i put the blenny in my 5.5 tank... just a thought..

I've seen blenny go bad! But if it was him......you'd see "sandpaper" marks on the side of the fish. As for the shrimp......I would have though he would have been dinner if a fish actually killed him!

How big is the tank?

Yeah! The fact that the shrimp is "whole" makes me skeptical. All my fish shake (like pit bulls) the hell out of freeze dried when I put them in. I would think that even if it is not consumed, it should be beat up!

Archived