Pod Your Reef

Just Wondering

lmike9

This isnt my first time building a nano, but this time i want to get it right. I allready have a 55 gallon fish-only system and a 10 gallon quarentine tank but this i am hoping this will be one of my more sucessfull.Anyway, i am just wondering if a Aquaclear 201 powerhead (0-127 gph) would be O.K. as a means of water mouvment. Also i am unsure of the importance of an external power filters such as WHISPER or AQUACLEAR. I have heard that in a 2.5 gallon take with few corals and a blennie,clownfish or damsel, filtration can be accomplished with a powerhead only and 3-5 pounds of live rock. Is this correct? Respond ASAP

LITTLEFISHEE

Is the AC 201 powerhead for the 55 or the 2.5 gallon tank? I would also use live sand as well as live rock. In my first nano, a 3 gallon, I used an azoo powerhead that was only 50-70 gph on the bottom, even that was too strong for some of my softies. As for the filters, the only thing I like about them is that you can use floss during the week and a day or two after a water change you can run carbon for polishing the water for a day (anything more than 2 days and it becomes a nitrate factory IMO). Some people don't even use filters. In my newer 11 gallon I only run a skimmer.

Archived