Coral Vue Hydros

cfeist's Aquapod 24

cfeist

Yeah they are cool looking. The single red polyp in the 3rd picture look like whammin' watermelons. Look at the colony in my 24 gallon thread.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Ocho, those ones do look like watermellons, the first pic of zoas may be a morph of dragon eyes. Great Score. The brain is great! Isn't it awesome how they start to interact with you...referencing your goby. I too have been looking for a new tank mate and was looking to wrasses. The six line is so cool but he may harrass the smaller gobies. So wright now I am looking for a Lubbocks wrasse or other fairy wrasses. If you do decide to go with another goby you may want to make sure it's coloration is different. I have read that gobies can get aggressive against similar color and sized fish.

Tank looking great as usual.

Great pics as usual, Colin! :)

Thanks! I'm getting more comfortable shooting as well. I'm trying to get some more action shots, but the little guy is quick! I see that the photo contest is about Gobies etc this month, maybe i'll get a good one and enter.

I agree with Ocho, those ones do look like watermellons, the first pic of zoas may be a morph of dragon eyes. Great Score. The brain is great! Isn't it awesome how they start to interact with you...referencing your goby. I too have been looking for a new tank mate and was looking to wrasses. The six line is so cool but he may harrass the smaller gobies. So wright now I am looking for a Lubbocks wrasse or other fairy wrasses. If you do decide to go with another goby you may want to make sure it's coloration is different. I have read that gobies can get aggressive against similar color and sized fish.

Tank looking great as usual.

Thanks for the reply rj. I was thinking that the green ones may be a morph of dragon eyes, after I was looking at zoas all day long lol. I love the brain! I dropped some mysis into each one of the 3 mouths this evening and it ate it right up. It was pretty funny because the mindless Nassarius snails started smelling the food and charged the brain and got stung multiple times and learned their lesson. They have been staying completely away from the brain since...

I have been hesitant about the Sixline because of them being hit or miss and pesky towards smaller fish. I will look into maybe getting a pair of clowns first, since Lalani's have gotten along so well with the YCG she has... Thanks for the info.

Things are still going pretty well. I may start dosing B-Ionic to raise my calcium, but I will wait a few days and see. The new additions, zoas, open brain, etc have been doing fairly well. I've fed the brain a few pieces of mysis which it loved, and the zoas for the most part have been staying open, although they seem to close a bit once the halides go off, i'm not sure if its just the lights, or snails bumping into them or something, but they seem ok. My yellow clown goby is doing great, and he's really becoming more comfortable and less shy. He's no longer hiding up on his mag float, now he ventures down in the front of the tank and hangs out on the rocks for a good portion of the day. He also, loves chasing the mysis shrimp around the tank and eating... his personality is amazing.

Ammonia : 0

Nitrites : 0

Nitrates : 5

Ph : 7.9

Salinity : 1.025

Alk : 9

Calcium : 320

Feeeed meeee

brain_05.jpg

One of my favorite shots of him so far

ycg_10.jpg

Chasing down some mysis

ycg_11.jpg

If I get a chance this weekend, I may check out the Marine Expo down in Orange County and maybe pick up a pair of clownfish or some more zoas, we'll see...

TheCuban1040

Did you ever get a positive ID on this guy? My LFS gave me a couple of them several months ago, they breed like crazy now! Everyday I see 5-10 new egg sacs on the walls wherever there is good flow. They seem to just eat algae (VERY slowly) but they start to get ugly when they are all over the glass all the time, so I siphon a bunch out whenever I do a water change.

"Anyone know what kind of snail this is? The LFS wasn't sure and gave it to me as a freebie. I'm not sure if its a Nassarius or something else.

snailid.jpg"

The YCG is so cool. I'm hoping to get one soon too.

Yours is very colorful and your pics are very good!

Thanks! He is a great fish and I'm so pleased with him. I saw him weeks prior in the LFS and he was such a little personality... He's even better in my tank as he has so many rocks and things to play around with, not to mention having the entire tank to himself. He does love that frozen mysis though, he thinks it's alive when its in the water column getting pushed around by the flow and starts to sneak up on the shrimp before he eats it.

Did you ever get a positive ID on this guy? My LFS gave me a couple of them several months ago, they breed like crazy now! Everyday I see 5-10 new egg sacs on the walls wherever there is good flow. They seem to just eat algae (VERY slowly) but they start to get ugly when they are all over the glass all the time, so I siphon a bunch out whenever I do a water change.

I asked a fellow nano reefer and checked out the ID page : http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm and we both agreed that is looks to be a COLUMBELLID snail. Mine has been leaving eggs around on the glass too I think, and he's not very quick, but he does get around the tank quite a bit. I haven't noticed any babies around yet though.

Tank looks great .

Thanks man. I plan on taking some more FTS and picking up some more corals this weekend, maybe even a pair of occ. clowns. It's been a while since the last FTS mainly because I was waiting until I got some more color in there and it wasn't just the aquascape. Getting closer thats for sure.

awesome micro minuta.....Im going to have to as Miguel for a frag of that....Got any other pics of it?

awesome micro minuta.....Im going to have to as Miguel for a frag of that....Got any other pics of it?

I'll snap some more pics as soon as I get it off the damn frag plug. I meant to do it this weekend, but I haven't picked up some aquamend putty and more glue yet. It's doing great too, I fed it some mysis last week and ate it up, and seems to be growing a bit, there are a few new mouths that look to be forming.

careful with aquamend as it heats up really hot when it cures and might hurt the coral if th flesh is touching the curing aquamend

That's not true according to this:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=glue&st=40

Im guessing you didnt read that thread.....Here is my reply to his inital post and he aggreed with everything I said....

One thing Id like to add is 2 part epoxy gets really hot when it starts to cure so when gluing actual coral flesh to a rock or plug its better to use super glue gel and not aquamend epoxy. The only time to use the epoxy is if you want to adhere a rock to a rock or a plug to a rock etc. I wouldnt even use the epoxy to adhere a hard coral (sps) to a rock or plug as I had several frags die because the epoxy gets really hot when it cures.

Lets just say I found out the hard way that aquamend cures super hot....Once you start losing hundreds of dollars of coral you figure out the problem fast

I just posted on the thread....take a look

I wrote back. So you didn't see the experiment? I was getting confused...

Thanks for the heads up. I was planning to do as he described, trim back the frag plug, super glue gel, epoxy, more glue then to rock.

I'll double check it just in case, thanks.

Well, it was bound to happen eventually I suppose, my first accident happened yesterday morning. I was doing a manual top off before leaving for work and my little YCG was following me around, I filled the water a little too high and he managed to jump into the back chambers. I tried scooping him out with a cup, with my hands, nothing worked... I had no net small enough so I figured I would leave him be so he wouldn't get stressed out and take care of it when I got home from work that evening.

I stopped by the petstore on the way home, got a small net to fit back there and when I arrived home, he was no where to be found. I pulled out all of the filter floss, the purigen, chemipure, eggcrate, tubing, everything... except for the return pump at the bottom. I scoured the display tank with the flashlight for a good 15 minutes to make sure he wasn't just hiding from me, and then finally took the return pump out. There he was, caught in the intake of the return pump and wedge inside... gone :tears:

I felt horrible, and I am still really bummed out from the whole experience because it was my fault, and if I hadn't left him there and worried about being late to work, I probably could have gotten him out. Anyway, I since have cleaned everything, checked water parameters and let everything clear and everything is still fine, but the tank is completely empty without that little guy movin around in there. I'm just glad I took a bunch of photos of him and have good memories. I can't believe I only had the little guy a couple of weeks...

RIP little buddy... :tears:

ycg_dream.jpg

I had that happen to me many times. I've have my clowns go back there a few times, a valineini puffer go back there and die, a sixline live back there for 4 weeks!!! I know have a stainless steel plate that covers up the gap.

Archived