Innovative Marine Aquariums

ReefKeeper Elite > Is it worth $490?

PurpleUP

They come with a battery also.

Interesting thread. If your concerned about power you can get an APC UPS with a network managment card. UPS = uninterrupted power supply. When the power goes out the APC will run on battery power for say 15min depending on what you buy and send you an email. You connect your cable/dsl modem and router to it obviously so that they dont turn off when the power goes out.

The APC and network management card and be a little pricy about$200.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting thread. If your concerned about power you can get an APC UPS with a network managment card. UPS = uninterrupted power supply. When the power goes out the APC will run on battery power for say 15min depending on what you buy and send you an email. You connect your cable/dsl modem and router to it obviously so that they dont turn off when the power goes out.

The APC and network management card and be a little pricy about$200.

I have a Smart UPS 1500 connected to the tank now, but the battery needs replacement. After constantly beeping for 3 weeks, I finally ordered a new one. Mine gives about 3.5hrs of emergency backup to my main pump and heater. I forgot about the network management card. I'll have to check if mine already has one. If so, I could hook up a wireless ethernet device. Thanks for the tip.

this thing is not worth it.

why even have a saltwater tank if your not going to get your hands wet

might as well hire someone to matinance it.

what a joke.

what a joke.

do you feel like a badass now? :P

what a joke.

What a reply. I guess ignorance is truly bliss.

I have a Smart UPS 1500 connected to the tank now, but the battery needs replacement. After constantly beeping for 3 weeks, I finally ordered a new one. Mine gives about 3.5hrs of emergency backup to my main pump and heater. I forgot about the network management card. I'll have to check if mine already has one. If so, I could hook up a wireless ethernet device. Thanks for the tip.

So I found the network card option for my UPS, and it has another option for "environmental monitoring" with an external temperature sensor. Not only will it inform me via email of the tank's power status, but it will also let me know if my house it on fire! Another cool feature would enable me to REBOOT my tank remotely from an iPhone. Haha. $300 bucks. You think that's worth it? :lol:

You know what's even funnier? I might buy one. Seriously though, it would give me peace of mind to know my power is up if ever I'm gone for a few days or longer.

post-27594-1205732798_thumb.jpg

The Propagator

If there is a power outage and your on anything other than a 56k modem with a UPS there will be no way for it to send you a message telling you the system is down unless you pay another company to monitor the software and alert you when it stops signaling. Every broad ban ISP out there uses a high speed modem that must be plugged in to a power source. You would have to have a UPS on that power source and hope the phone lines aren't out too, or the cable.

Other wise you would have to have your own high power WIFI set up ( $$$$$$$$$$$$$ x a gillion ) and a reliable UPS.

The thing sI would buy a reef keeper and similar for would be for PH, CA, SG, ORP, but mainly for the wicked good wave maker and light controller built into one touch screen display so that you can turn of any one individual or all lights pumps or LED ( if you buy one thats capable of such that is).

Dang it...

Still no preorder...and 200 will be all thats offered.

Somebody check this thing every 5 minutes a day and

let me know when I can preorder...It comes with nice

Lunar gadget for the 1st preorders. :)

Izzue

man i really want to get one of these but right now i just dont know if i can afford it

ive already spent too much on my setup and its still dry

still very tempting too, with the free lunar module for the first preorders

looks like im going to need a new cc with 0% for the first year :)

Oceanic 30g

I am laughing at what some of you tell your wives. (The truth??) For me, it is just like stereo equipment...

Everything costs about $20

ATO $20

Halide Lighting $20

Coral $20

She does the same to me when she gets her hair cut or highlighted.

The best money I spent was on a RK1 (back in the day) and it is still going strong. Not only do I feel comfortable leaving for business trips, but the entire thing makes keeping, maintaining, and growing my reef that I would have paid twice what I did and still think it was worth every penny. To all the doubters out there, keeping a reef thriving is already hard enough, why not take advantage of a great tool and make your life and your reef better.

guess what today im hiring a guy to come and maintain my tank and take care of everything, even stock my tank!

Why do you even comment? What's the point? If people want to spend their money on these, does it really have any bearing on you? I don't think anyone on this thread jumped on your tank thread and started bashing you about adding stony corals after having your tank up for a month with PC lights, did they?

Great job of trying to derail the thread....dingleberry.

arent you going against what you just wrote? and what does testing you water have to do with getting your hands wet anyways? you still have to do water changes and all that, but with a controller you would have a complete record of fluctuations in certain parameters

also, it lets you create a true lunar cycle using the lunar module and has a wave and lighting function...also nothing that has to do about getting your hands wet

controllers have absolutely NOTHING to do with maintenence, still have to test for nh4, no2, no3, po4, mg

judging by his tank I don't think he should be posting in the advanced forum AT ALL and needs to spend a bit more time in the beginners section

I don't think anyone on this thread jumped on your tank thread and started bashing you about adding stony corals after having your tank up for a month with PC lights, did they?

Or how he has a tang, anemone and ich problems along with cyano and algae issues in a 29g tank

• 2 weeks later...

Ok folks time for some 1A grade intel for everyone. I say 1A (highest) because it comes right from DA's (aka Scott's) mouth as I talked to him at MAX this morning. He was very understanding of our frustration and he let out some very interesting facts.

1. The delay was caused by the manufacturer of the casings. There were some molding blemishes that took away from the design and they wanted that fixed. I saw the blemishes and I agree they should wait and fix it. They were little bumps all over the power units.

2. They believe that if all goes well they will be going on to pre-order in one to two weeks. Possibly next week (slim but possible)

3. The manual as it stands is only 8 pages and covers allot of DON'T'S as it relates to the power strips. The main meat of the manual is in progress and deals with the head unit.

4. They will not have a Ca monitor probe for the unit due to the problem with Ca probes dying after a few days of constant use. This it seems is a common problem on Ca probes

5. The unit will have a limited programing language that will allow you to set power on/power off actions on individual plugs based on inputs from probes. It will not be as advanced a language as BASIC or what you find with the ACIII units. This was done because they believe the market for this product is moving from the Power User arena to a more consumer one and thus the consumer isn't going to want a complex language. This also means no cascading IF/THEN tree's.

6. The unit will not initially be programmable from the USB connector via a PC/Mac. Within a month or two or three they will have an interface and method to program it from a PC or Mac

7. The Ethernet unit will not be ready for use until after the pre-order

8. There will, at this time, not be a web server built in to the unit. That is a feature that is considered "nice to have" not "required" and they are working on only addressing the "required" features done with the "nice to have's" being swung to "required" as they can. It is on the list but not high on the list.

9. Bear in mind when reading 6-8 that the unit is meant to have two way communications meaning that you will be able to control the unit other than via the interface on the unit as well as remotely monitor conditions.

And now some photos of the unit at MAX

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm309/u...Keeper%20Elite/

bubbles3660
I am laughing at what some of you tell your wives. (The truth??) For me, it is just like stereo equipment...

Everything costs about $20

My wife has already learned that trick. She justs adds an extra zero to whatever I quote. Too damn smart sometimes.

--bubbles

bubbles3660
And now some photos of the unit at MAX

Hmm. So you have to change screens to check pH? To me a big advantage of the RK2 is that everything is visible at a glance. Did you get a chance to fiddle with the interface? Can that be modified?

--bubbles

Archived