inTank Media Baskets

1/2 coral 1/2 sand???

Nanu Nanu

I know its possible, but is it okay if I put crush coral on one side and sand on the other side? Well actualy I'm doing a whole crush coral bed, then on the other half of the bed I'm putting crush coral. I would think theres no harm in this, but I'm a Rookie in this hobbie, and some expert opinion would be good. Thanks;)

coralreefengr

I did something similar in my newest tank. I put southdown size sand in the front 1/4 and CaribSea reef floor special grade in the rest. So far so good.

CRE

coralreefengr

If you haven't done so already, I recommend doing a search either here or on Reefcentral for crushed coral. You will find that crushed coral is considered "old school" and many deem it to be a detritus trap and overall headache. Just want to be sure you have all the facts before you get something in there that you may decide later you do not want. Maybe you've already done your research and know the pros and cons on crushed coral, I don't know.

CRE

just set up a new 30 gal long (3 months old) and used about 20 lbs of live sand to seed with another 30 lbs or so of the fine sugar aragonite sand on top of the live sand to "seal" it. Added another 20 lbs or so of the crushed aragonite coral for texture and to hold down the sugar sand. With a couple lbs of live rock it took about 4-5 days to cycle. But then I'm running a DSB (without plenum) so ...

I've been slowly adding more live rock and live stock and so far so good. Wish I had the product numbers for the sand but it's all at home ....

MrConclusion

Nanu,

It will be "OK" consiering that I can't imagine the substrate causing any serious acute problem. But you should consider using sand instead of crushed coral.

Unless you really like the look of it, crushed coral doesn't have any benefits over decent sand. However, it does support less biodiversity than sand. Generally, the sea floor in the areas we're interested in are made of sand, and the livestock we're dealing with are better adapted to it.

Archived