SaltCritters.com

Stupid heater!

Caius

I came home today and found my pepermint shrimp dead on it's side and the clowfish was swimming around like nuts. What the?!!!

I check the water temp and it was at 96ºF!!!!! I just about ######. Damn Visi-Therm heater.

Took the cover off, drained some water and replaced it with cool water slowly to make sure that it doesn't cool too quickly. I also turn the AC to full blast to help out.

That was about 2 hours ago. Temps are at 84ºF so things are looking good.

I don't know how but the clown, hermits and Astrea survived. I mean, 96º is pretty freakin' toasty. I did not think the snail was going to make it cause his foot was all shriveled up but he's back to crawling around the LR so that's a good sign.

Hopefully the stress of the day will not affect them over the long haul.

Meanwhile, can I get a moment of silence for Pepe the Pepperming shrimp.

coralreefengr

I've had similar problems with the Visi therms as well. Needless to say I don't use them anymore. I have yet to have trouble with Ebo Jager, though. Just my experience.

CRE

Agreed. I have a couple of VisiTherms in use and I find them to be quite dodgy. The thermostat drifts quite a lot over time. I've never had one stick on, but after hearing this story I think I'll replace them just in case, especially the one on my nano. I have two Ebo Jagers in FW tanks and the temperature never fluctuates; it stays exactly where the thermostat is set. I've heard nothing but good things about Ebo Jager.

Anyone use the Hagen Mini Thermal Compact heaters? They are the only ones that I know of that will fit in my Aquaclear 150. I notice the 25watt and 50watt are the same size and price. Just go for the 50 on my 5 gallon tank? Any other small heaters that may work? Thanks,

Scott

My only experience with Hagen heaters is with a Tronic that was, quite frankly, a total piece of crap. Thermostat drifted up to the point where it wouldn't turn on unless I stuck it in icewater.

i dunno how big they are, but WON Pro heats are amazing. i have one in the sump of my 55 and it works like a charm. has external thermostat so u can adjust without digging it out and it is titanium so it wont shatter. i dont know if they come in 50w though....

Thanks all. After doing some searches on this topic it looks like practically everyone is recommending Ebo Jagers so I'm going to go pick one up today.

On a related note, looks like the Astrea has licked it's last algae poor fella. Guess the heat was just too much for him.

Right now I'm glad to be a newbie. I was going to start puting corals in the tank next week. I'm glad this happened now instead of at a later date when potentially more livestock would have suffered.

I had the same problem with a visitherm when cycling my first tank. Temp went up over 100 degrees, thankfully no livestock was in the tank yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Bump.

Another note about VisiTherm heaters: The little Marineland fishy symbols that they've stuck all over the heater start to flake off after about 9 or 10 months in saltwater. At least mine did. I saw one drifting around in my tank and could not figure out what it was for the longest time...

Grrr.

Archived