Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

BC29 in the works...

Elite Twit

I've been away for far too long.

I've been researching for a good 3 months now on what I want to set up to replace my 7g Mini Bow since the heater failed and killed my tank. This is going to be the journal for my tanks progression, with many pic updates as things unfold.

BioCube 29 Mixed Reef (Started March 18, 2008)

40#s Rock(Give or take)

1 inch sandbed. (Always was the most pleasing to the eye for me)

Equipment

-Current Nova Extreme Pro 20" T5s

-Rio 6HF for stock pump replacement to Locline Y

-False bottom removed in chamber 1

-Two Little Phishies Phosban Reactor running Phosban/Carbon with a Minijet 404

-BioBalls removed

-Finnex Digital 100x Titanium Heater (Chamber 2)

-Koralia Nano, 1, 2

-Pinpoint wireless thermometer

Live Stock

Fish

-Geometric Pygmy Hawk (Added May 2, 2009)

(Plectranthias inermis)

-Helfrichi Firefish (Added May 27, 2009)

(Nemateleotris helfrichi)

Clams

-Brown/Gold Maxima Clam (Added May 11, 2009)

Clean Up Crew

-4 Stocky Ceriths

-3 Common Cerith

-2 Trochus

-3 Nassarius

-Red Mithrax Crab

-Emerald Crab

Current Front FTS (06/8/2009)

IMG_5435.jpg

Current Side FTS (06/8/2009)

IMG_5445.jpg

Thanks for looking!

-Jay

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck Jay. I just started my thread (MSU Fan's BC29g), so hopefully what I have done will help you. I have larger versions of all the photos if you want to see any closer. Let me know. If you are going to do the MH upgrade, do it before you start the tank. Your stock list looks good. You have a good solid plan that will set you up for success. I would seriously consider an ATO, since it will improve the performance of the skimmer you get.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll definitely check out your thread and let you know if I need some bigger pictures. I've priced out everything and getting the 29 at my lfs with the club discount will be cheaper than ordering the whole thing. So I figure I can get the tank and have it cycling with no light for a week while I wait for my upgrade from NC. Still waiting on a few things to come through but hopefully this happens this week with the initial set up. I'm not trying to rush anything, but I'm getting that itch.

I've done some seaching on the ATO's. I like the one from top-off.com. I forgot who had it in their tank but someone did in the 29. I firgure I'll order that when I get the skimmer to make sure things are running smoothly.

I don't know anything about the top-off.com units, but I prefer the tunze osmolator. I love this unit. And Tunze' customer service is amazing. But of course you are paying for it, so keep that in mind.

The only thing I was worried about really was the heat in the hood. I know people are successfully keeping Croceas under pcs, so a 70w should be ok for lighting. At least that's what I'm hoping. I don't really trust the 150w in that little hood. I am trying to stay away from a chiller, and this may just be the way for me. If I keep any sps at all it'd be cup off the side of one of the shelves I'm going to place way up high near the light. I would just be worried about the Crocea in the sand. Anyone have any input as far as the 70wMH and a crocea in the sand? Or in the hood for that matter?

I have no experience, but a crocea in the sand below a 70w MH should be fine. I would not put a 150w in the hood - I would go open top at that point. Also, add 2 fans blowing in at the back to help evap and cooling.

Yeah open top would be the way to go with a 150w. I like the look of everything enclosed though which is what drew me to the BC.

I've seen a few different options around here for the fans. I liked the scroll fan that went across to the front of the tank and vented out(forgot who had this). I also liked, I believe it was Dooderinos, the holes drilled around the front lid and the fan on the read lid.

I'm thinking about going with the holes in the front with two fans in the rear. Not sure if I should do one in one out, both in or both out. Any suggestions? Definitely going with two if I go that route.One of either side of my skimmer.

And MSU Fan I checked out your thread. Definitely some nice work on the stand and everything all together. When i said the two fans in the rear I want to do something resembling yours.

I have the ATO from topoff.com. It has worked flawlessly since adding it to my tank. The problem is the concern that the switches have a 120v running through them and this could cause premature failure. You might concider the aquahub.com kit.

I would definately recommend the Tom aqua lifter pump for your water pump. This is the best pump for the application. If your supply tank runs low it will not hurt the pump because all it does is pump air.

I also modded the hoods with the fan in the back and holes in the front. So far temps are managable but evaportion is crazy. 1 gal per 24hrs.

Ah I knew it began with a D. It was your tank Deano I was talking about with the fan/holes drilled and that top off. Thanks for chiming in. I'll check out that other one you recommended and look around for it. How long have you had the ATO from topoff.com running? 120v does sound a little scary, but it's that you say flawlessly that makes me want to give it a try.

1 gal per 24 hours is pretty crazy. I figured if I did my light mod first along with everything but the fuge and skimmer I should have a good idea as to where my temps/evaporation will be. I was going to turn to the extra fans if I noticed temps rising too high. But 1 gallon every 24 hours is just wow. I might look into a chiller earlier than later just to be safe. I'd rather put out the cash for the chiller than vent/fan with 1 gallon per 24 hours. i'll see though. If I go the route of ATO I really wouldn't mind the evaporation. I'll just have to fill it twice a week or so.

Just one more thing to think about before finalizing my decision! Thanks for bringing if to my attention.

Looks like you are off to a great start with the planning. Early congrats on joining the ranks of the BC crew around here. There are a lot of people on here that have Biocubes and can always give plenty of advice. That's why I came over here to this forum and stuck around.

You could also consider the JBJ ATO as well. I have one on my BC29 and it has worked great. It is a really simple setup and it comes with two floats. One that controls when the water is too low and then another that is a fail safe in case a pump gets stuck on or the other switch fails. Basically if the water gets too high then it cuts power to the pump. I have been really happy with it although I think it was around $70 if I remember right.

Feel free to check out my thread if you want and ask any questions as you have them. Have fun with it and I look forward to seeing how it comes along.

Ah I knew it began with a D. It was your tank Deano I was talking about with the fan/holes drilled and that top off. Thanks for chiming in. I'll check out that other one you recommended and look around for it. How long have you had the ATO from topoff.com running? 120v does sound a little scary, but it's that you say flawlessly that makes me want to give it a try.

1 gal per 24 hours is pretty crazy. I figured if I did my light mod first along with everything but the fuge and skimmer I should have a good idea as to where my temps/evaporation will be. I was going to turn to the extra fans if I noticed temps rising too high. But 1 gallon every 24 hours is just wow. I might look into a chiller earlier than later just to be safe. I'd rather put out the cash for the chiller than vent/fan with 1 gallon per 24 hours. i'll see though. If I go the route of ATO I really wouldn't mind the evaporation. I'll just have to fill it twice a week or so.

Just one more thing to think about before finalizing my decision! Thanks for bringing if to my attention.

You should not have to worry about the 120v shocking the tank, heck most PH's have the same voltage running throught them. The concern is the watt/amp surg/spike running throught the switch when it powers up your pump, causing the switch to burn out.

I have been running my topoff for about a month now. It does have the high/low floats to prevent over filling the tank. JBJ makes a very nice ATO but $70.00 for the ATO and another $13.00-$20.00 for a pump. I didn't care about all the fufu that the JBJ came with, all I wanted was something that added water when required.

I own a chiller but when I ordered it I thought it would fit between my tank anf file cabinet, which it didn't so I have been stalling hooking it up. Means I will have to buy a smaller chiller or smaller file cabinet.

I didn't care about all the fufu that the JBJ came with, all I wanted was something that added water when required.

Yeah that's what I'm mainly looking for. I don't mind spending the money, but if it's all extras that I really don't need I won't be missing them. I will check it out though to see if I may want some of that fufu. Thanks for the suggestion divecj5. I learned the hard way it's better to get the best to begin with rather than later with my 7g, so I won't be taking any chances this time.

Which chiller did/do you have Deano? I was looking at the JBJ Artica Mini I think it was. Nano was 20g Mini was 40g I believe. Saw it for 300 something shipped. I've done some thinking and while I'm still not to fond of having to get a chiller, the way summers have been going the past few years I may just have to. We hit over 100 regularly last summer and it's all crap humid jersey weather. I figure I won't be adding anything overly important to the tank in at least 2-3 months, by that time I will be able to see how the temperature will affect my tank.

From all the responses from PMs I've sent out to various people I shouldn't need a chiller at all. But I am still on the fence wether to go 70w or 150w. 150w will definitely need a chiller. Divecj5 how much evaporation do you see with it open top with the 150w? If I go open top it's definitely the 150w sunpod. Closed top is up in the air for the reasons mentioned above.

My mind says omgomgomg:blink:omgomgomg:unsure: everytime I think about it.

Actually the Nano JBJ is rated up to 25gal. I have a Coralife Aqua Chiller 1/6hp. Haven't run it yet but is more chiller then needed.

It's on! I'll be picking up my tank tomorrow, along with my bulk heads. Have a local reefer giving me his water to aid in the cycle. Should be up and running tomorrow night by 8pm! Can't wait.

Ok so the 15th didn't happen. I had to wait to grab the tank. So as of yesterday I put together the stand, drilled for my bulkhead, removed the floor in Chamber 1 and widened Chamber 1 to 2. Took pics of everything. Picking up some water and a rock or two from a club member tonight. I've got 23 pounds of Marco Rock sitting in the box near the stand waiting to go in as well. Then last but not least my last bag of South Down sand! Can't find that anymore! Pics will be up tonight. :happydance:

Yeah I went open top for my 7g Minibow that's why I'm trying to stay away from it this time. I hated how much evaporation occured.

I edited the first post. I knew I wanted a Flasher Wrasse I just had to find the right one. I still may go for the Fridmani but I don't want any issues with it bothering anything. It of course would be the last addition, but I may end up going with a Flameback or Pygmy angel. I like the angels better than the pseudo's, but I was worried about the clam I may want.

My new laptop hasn't come in yet that's why there's no pics. It should be here by Saturday. Hopefully I can get some pics up of the initial scape till i pick up the other rock sunday/monday night then finish adding in the rest of the dead rock. I did take some pics last night. The water is a little cloudy but should be cleared up tonight or tomorrow for better pics.

Finalized the stock list. I'll be going with the Blackcap Basslet for my purple need. Much safer than the other fish I was looking at to add a blue or purple to my tank. I'm still not sure if I am going to go for 5 fish total, but I don't really consider the three Greenbanded Gobies as three fish as their combined bioload is probably closer to one and a half fish if that. Adding the Blackcap will give me a nice fish selection, with the colors I am looking for, as well as having most places covered: sand, water column, rock work for where to look for them swimming.

Edit: I may or may not go with the Blackcap. It's between the Blackcap and a Yellow Assessor. The Assessor gets little more than half the size of the Blackcap and I was never one for loads of fish, or bigger fish at that. I just want to see some colors darting every once in a while. Editing the next post as well with the updated pic list.

For those wondering, the below pictures will be how it looks in 4 months in terms of fish! In order of acquisition:

Greenbanded Gobies x3!

Greenbanded.jpg

Yellow Assessor

Assessor.jpg

McCosker's Flasher Wrasse

McCoskeri.jpg

And now back to watching the algae grow on my rocks and glass...

Placed my order at Aquacave.com last night around midnight) for my new pumps, heater and a few other things. First I'd have to say if you haven't checked them out do so right now(under the sponsor sections), then of course come back and continue reading. Most of their pricing was the best if not close to the best by a few cents of any online retailer I've found. Secondly I wanted the Rio 6hf and Finnex Digital Titanium heater. They didn't have them listed on the site but after speaking to Luke on the chat feature they were available for me to purchase in a day. I ordered a few extra things that I would need down the road to equal the $175 for free shipping. Not only do they give you free shipping, but it's 2 day free shipping. I'll see it by Thursday the 27th. In comparison I ordered a new bag for my laptop Friday. My scheduled ship day is this Friday or Monday. Aquacave is located about the same distance as where I ordered the pack from, if I remeber correctly. All in all, great customer service from beginning to end, plus they're a Nano-Reef sponsor so give them a try. You won't be disappointed!

-Jay

• 1 month later...

Well until i get around to making the complete build thread, here's top down pics of a before and after while looking through the feeder door of my Biocube 29.

Cycling:

IMG_4569.jpg

Sexiness:

IMG_4663.jpg

Going from left to right:

Stardust micros very top left(the distorted reds on the dark green rock), 3 ricordeas, rainbow acans, tubs, sunburst paly's, purple micros, frogspawn and that lone polyp on the plug is a piece of the purple micro that was some loose tissue I am hoping will grow back.

When I can get better pics of the acan it's amazing. White, red, orange, green, purple and some yellow.

• 2 weeks later...
Elite Twit

Tunze 9002 comes in tomorrow! I might take a half day at work to install it I haven't decided yet. I'll see how busy I am.

omgomgomg omgomgomg :happydance:omgomgomg omgomgomg

Archived