SaltCritters.com

5 gallon won't cycle

HIPPUS

i have a 5 gallon bow front that has been up and running for over a month and i can't get it to cycle

my ammonia is 8.0 and won't go down

is there anything i can add or do to get this down

i have 9 lbs of live rock and 12 lbs live sand

i'm using a whipser junior filter w algone, poly filter, and chemi pure

try a wc, change out 25% to 50% of the water. the other suggestions are good too. looks kinda cloudy brownish ???

I DO USE CYCLE

I THINK IT MIGHT FINALLY BE CYCLING I TESTED IT TODAY AND ALL TEST ARE ALL THE WAY UP

SHOULD I USE PREMIXED SALT WATER TO DO THE WATER CHANGE OR JUST RO WATER

Well, from what I've read about attempting freshwater fishless cycling (using chemical ammonia to cycle the tank), the nitrifying bacteria can't survive at ammonia concentrations much greater than 5.0 ppm.

I suppose the same might be true for saltwater, in which case your 8.0 ppm level is too high to cycle. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I am can correct this, but I'd say do a water change and get the concentration down to 5.0 ppm.

westkyracer

Ok Stop right there do not do another thing for a week. Take all media out of the Hob filter. Don't add anything. Keep your light off for 2 days and on for 1 for the week. Then find some live rock with good growth and put it in the tank. Just because it is finally cycled does not mean it is ready with the problems you had. You put a Bio load in there right now you will never get it going right. Just let the LR do its thing.

Archived