SaltCritters.com

what to put in 15 gallon

Carrie

Hi,

I am just getting started. I was wondering what kind of fish, cleaning critter, and corals you'd recommend for a 15 gallon (it's a 15high in case it matters)? I have decent lighting (Sealife).

I am not planning on getting a bigger tank, so everything in the 15g needs to stay small enough to be happy in that small space for the rest of their lives.

Could always get a nice pair of clowns, six-line wrasse are nice too. Firefish are nice, bit skittish.  For cleaning I like blue legs, and then a nice mix of snails nass, cerith, turbos.  For corals well depeds on lights you have, but all polyps, softies, LPS.  Just avoid the more aggressive ones.

Thanks Dave, I really love the clowns (False Percula)! I've already visited them at the LFS...

I haven't even gotten my stuff yet. For lights I ordered a Custom Sealife retrofit to go on my Eclipse Hood. The retrofit has a smart lamp in it.

I understand I will run the tank with just the saltwater, live sand (I got 20lbs of Argo-Alive) and Fiji Live rock (I guess I'll get about 15lbs of that, right?) until the cycle is completed, correct?

After the tests come back zero on ammonia and nitrate, what comes next: Clean up critters, corals, or fish?

• 1 month later...

Additional options can be the following:

1. 1 damselfish

2. 1-2 firefish

3. 1 pseudochromis (dottyback)

4. 1 Fairy Basslet (gramma)

5. 1-2 cardinalfish

6. 1-3 jawfish (decent sand bed with rock required)

* Despite the small number of fish allowed, there are a myriad of invertebrate/coral options which should more than compensate.

• 1 month later...

I have a flame hawk fish, a small bicolor blenny, and a small tomato clown with a bubble tip anemone.  6 blue legged hermits, 6 astrea snails, 1 turbo snail, 1 emerald crab, 1 coral banded shrimp, 1 peppermint shrimp, and 1 2"-3" Orange knobby starfish.  As far as corals go I only have some xenia and green star polyps so far.  My tank is a 15g tall with 131w of vho, pc, and no lighting.  For filtration I use a hang on back filter (penguin 170) took out the carbon and the bio-filter, left the blue pad by itself.  I also have 20lbs of live sand, a few lbs of crushed shells, and about 25lbs of live rock.  Could fit a lot more rock though.  I am in the process of building a hang on back refugium to keep up with my bio-load.

hey carrie i wrote u a message thing  an i said u could have two of my clowns that im razing there gettin big and they are a pirfict siz for a nano just message me and ill see what i can do ive shiped fish before so i konow what im doin!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I guess this old thread got re-started somehow. I just wanted to let you know that my tank has been completely stocked for a while. I'm happy with what's in it as it is... :) (see signature)

Archived