Top Shelf Aquatics

protein skimmer knowledge

jerzsky

this site is very informative, as well as dr fosters. i have been recently building a 7 gal pico. i was reading on this site "The natural method of filtration consists of only liverock and livesand. No protein skimmers are used and no additives " on dr fosters it says how much of an essential peice of equip the skimmer is. but when i read up on them its saying that they remove a lot of trace elements, calcium, iodine, and other essential stuff the reef would need. sorry if im babbling. does it depend on preference, livestock??? any help or suggestions would be awesome! thanx all!!!

I use LR and protien skimmer as my only filtration. I have mostly softies but I do have some sun coral which uses up Ca. I am not sure about the Protien skimmer removing trace elements but as long as you do regular water changes with quality salt and water this will replenish the trace elements anyway. Take it from me who learned the hard way DO NOT DOSE ANYTHING unless you test for it. Most coral will do just fine without worring about trace elements as long as you are viginlant with your water changes. Some here insist that you get an expensive quality protien skimmer. I purchased the cheapo oceanic biocube skimmer and am doing just fine. I have been up and running since Dec of last year. The only problems I have come upon were due to my dosing with trace elements. Take it slow, listen to the wise old people on this board and you will have a great tank!!!!

We need to know what you want to have in your tank before we can answer this question.

A tank with mostly soft corals and not many fish or other critters will not need a skimmer.

A tank with sps corals needs a skimmer.

A tank with a lot of fish/critters could benefit from a skimmer.

So what do you want to keep?

but when i read up on them its saying that they remove a lot of trace elements, calcium, iodine, and other essential stuff the reef would need.

where did you read that skimmers remove *a lot* of "trace elements, calcium, iodine and other essential" ? if you skim very wet and have an over sized skimmer, you might be as you are removing lots of water in a small tank.

if you are going to use one of the so called natural filtration method, i would suggest the use carbon once a while along with consistent weekly water change.

Drs. Foster & Smith are in the business of making money, first and foremost - expect their information to be skewed to get you to buy things, with claims like skimmers are 'absolutely' essential.

Like Weetie said, list what you would like to keep, we can go from there. Although with a tank that small water changes would be better than a skimmer, imo.

We need to know what you want to have in your tank before we can answer this question.

A tank with mostly soft corals and not many fish or other critters will not need a skimmer.

A tank with sps corals needs a skimmer.

A tank with a lot of fish/critters could benefit from a skimmer.

So what do you want to keep?

im mostly gonna keep zoo's, ricords, and some mushrooms prob. i did buy the skimm, but i dont have it in right now. lemme know. thanks!

You don't need a skimmer for those, unless you're planning on really pushing the limits of your bioload by having a lot of fish.

You don't need a skimmer for those, unless you're planning on really pushing the limits of your bioload by having a lot of fish.

i might not even have any fish. if any there will be one purple firefish.

Archived