SaltCritters.com

Invert for my new 10 gal?

darwin604

Hi, first of all this is my first post to hi everyone.

Anyways, I have about a 4 month old 10 gallon and right now all it has in it is 2 damsels (very aggressive, I'm going to get rid of them, just got them to make sure the tank was safe after it cycled), a banded choral shrimp, 2 turbo snails and a condylactis anemone. All of these things were cheap and hardy so I figured they could provide my tank with some life until I was ready to get some decent livestock.

Anyways, what is some good stuff to start with? Also, what of the above mentions creatures should I keep and which should I take back to the LFS. Reef compatibility is obviously a big issue. Any suggestions would be terriffic. Obviously I'd like to start with something thats reasonable priced as well.

d.

ps. (my tank is also stocked with a good amount of live rock)

i'd say hold off on the condy. your tank will need many many months to mature, and during that time you will need to research every thing you can find out about anenomes. as they require very stable water params and mucho lighting, and CBS tend to get large for a 10 gallon. i'd axe them all together. they will also eat your fish if they can catch them.

Hello to a fellow Canuck from BC.

What type of lighting do you have?

I'd dump the condy, as it'll fill that tank in no time, and you won't have room for much else.

I have just started a 10gal nano for a Yellow Watchman Goby/Pistol Shrimp combo. They are so funny to watch.

Get lots of snails to keep the algae under control. I find the Turbos to be too big - they knock things over all the time. I prefer Astreas, Margaritas, Nassarius and Bumblebees myself.

Happy reefin'

Noel

What type of lighting do you have?

I have 2 x 7watt ecolite (or something like that) bulbs and 2 x Coralife 10 watt 50/50 bulbs (all 4 are screw-in retrofits for incandescent sockets). I've heard 2-4 watts per gallon so I guess its adequate. BTW, I had to bo-jang the canopy with new sockets to fit them all in. I thought the 50/50 actinic/10,000k looked too bluish on their own anyways.

d.

ps. if I'm doing anything horribly wrong dont be afraid to let me know, I've had only fresh water setups up until now so I'm a total newbie to salt. Oh yah, banded shrimp is gone, cleaner shrimp is now in its place.

Archived