Innovative Marine Aquariums

Clown a spaz???

Chronicles

Is my clown a spaz?? When it "sleeps" it's vertical in the back right corner swimming constantly up!! I mean it doesn't move but it has the swimming action w/ the tail and all. Do they normal do this or do I have the energizer bunny clown?? I mean my food says high energy but come on! I know I for one couldn't run and sleep at the same time, haha. My 2 damsels sleep the night away in the caves. X)

Haha! I caught mine doing that one night. At first I thought something was wrong but then realized that he was sleeping. I guess they like the feeling of being cuddled in the corner by the tank walls.

I've caught mine wrapped around the intake on the filter a couple of times. Guess he lickes that sucking feeling :) Weirdo.

Hah, My clown has been doing the exact same thing lately...

weird...dunno why. He used to just stay right down by the sand and hover around there..

• 2 weeks later...

Its normal. I have noticed mine doing it when he is stressed out. Like if my parameters are off. Or maybe he just likes head rushes, like his stoner...i mean owner..hehe.

Clowns will almost always set up a "sleeping spot" where they will congregate after dark. If you have a couple clowns and they are sleeping together, they have become a pair. Totally not unusual for these fish. Types of wrasse actual create mucus beds to sleep in! -it keeps their scent unnoticed so they can sleep without predation.-

SixLiner

my clowns were swimming together at the pet store, while the other two in the tank were at separate ends, so I picked the two swimming together hoping they would be a pair. The first week they slept together every night. Now they seem to be fighitng over territories and my L.T. Plate Coral. But when the one lets its guard down, they tend to tolerate eachother in the plate and just lay there and sleep at night. Could one be trying to be dominant and become female?????? Or is one already a female. Yesterday they were dukin out face to face and now they seem to have calm down a bit and the one seems to be dominant. How likely is it that they are a pair and will mate??Thanks

I can't wait I hope they figure out who will be who real soon....what if they both pick female..they seem stupid like that. they'd be like... oh what the f ! You were supposed to be the female.

thats what they are doing now... by chasing eachother they are seeing whos the best as defending a territory, thus will be a female. the other will conceede with a few sideways body flicks. after enough of this, they will agree on their sexes, pretty interesting fish. Too bad they didnt incorperate true clownfish behavior into Finding Nemo. --Mom dies, dad must take her place and Nemo and Dad automatically pair up!

SixLiner

yeah i noticed my fish seem like they have convulsions or something. They look like they are frozen and start to twitch once in while when they are swimming around eachother, is this normal?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes that is completely normal when you have a pair, or if the clown and anotehr fish are "arguing". it basically is a subordinate guesture to tell the other fish that he gives in. just like packs of dogs and licking the other alpha dogs mouths, or when you duck and cover from your spouse or boy/girl friend! smae idea. totally normal.

sixliner

Archived