SaltCritters.com

Please help id? is this a nudibranch? good/bad? picture

smallreef

I added some things to my tank today and this creature found his way into my tank. I never had one of these in my tank. What is this and is it good or bad?

helpid.txt

surfy, that isn't true.

lettuce nudibranch eatsh hair algae.

berghia eats aiptasia.

flatworm eating nudi for flatworm removal.

sea hair eats macro algae.

some aren't bad. not great in small tanks.

the one in the picture is a bad one for sure

True but what happens when the algae, aiptasia and flatworms are gone? They have to eat something so they usually munch on the corals.

I had a lettuce nudie and after a while some of my corals started to look bad so I got rid of it and the corals perked back up. It did take care of most of the hair algae though.

If you keep the nudies just becareful and keep an eye on them.

Well they usually starve to death once they run out of a food source. Most of them are obligate eaters so there are no other options.

Originally posted by surfy

True but what happens when the algae, aiptasia and flatworms are gone? They have to eat something so they usually munch on the corals.

They don't start eating corals if that isn't what they eat. When they run out of their food source, they starve. As was mentioned, they are specialized eaters, which is part of the difficulty with keeping many of them.

Not all "nudis" are bad. That is just silly.

Sorry, I should have stated all but like three kinds that are considered "reef safe" are bad.

I hate nudi's, I found a 1/4'' brown baby one in my nano that ate my three new zooanthid polyps that just started to grow.

Archived