Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Protien Skimmer Suggestions

westkyracer

AZDesertRat

I have really been wanting to try one of the new ViaAqua Multiskimmers. A guy on Reef Central has one for $50 from a system he is parting out. I have heard good things about them from a few distributors but haven't seen one in operation yet. The only part that didn't impress me is they seem to be pretty big. They can also hold an ozone system, a UV light and I believe a heater inside the filter.

I used to run a Prizm skimmer on my 20h, too much drama and tweaking with it to get it to behave. I am skimmerless, I use a CPR fuge on the back and do a once a week water change. No prblems so far.'

If you want a skimmer i have not heard anything bad said about the Aqua C Ramora skimmers. They are good quality. Next to them for small tanks would be the Bak Pak,.

If you want to go skimmerless there are a lot of people here that do and have no problems. I even keep a few SPS in my tank and so far they are thriving.

OxInYourBox

Remora all the way. I have 2 (10G and 42G tank) and both work flawlessly. I love not having to mess with them (other than adjusting the collection cup height which is pretty much set it and forget it) compared to other skimmers and I don't have to add in an airstone and replace that all the time as well. If I had to go with anything after that (for small tanks) I'd try a bak pak but only if it were pretty cheap. HTH

I bought a SeaClone for my 75 gal a while back when I had a FO system in there. Unfortunately I didn't realize it was a POS until after I bought it. Would it be too large to throw onto my 10gal? It's just sitting in the basement doing squat and I figured maybe it wouldn't hurt? It'll at least provide good gas exchange, and since it's so inefficient I'm thinking that I wont have to worry all that much about overskimming.

I use an AquaC Remora as well. Great skimmer but:

1) works better with a maxi-jet 1200

2) On a nano it can take up some space both inside the tank and outside (hang-on)

3) I don't know if this is common with all remora models but I have a heck of a time keeping micro-bubbles out of the skimmer effluent. Using the AquaC remora pre-filter box doesn't do much for the micro-bubble issue. I've recently moved it to a 10 gallon sump on another tank and had to rig a effluent flow box to give the bubbles more time to surface ...

4) If you use the skimmer without the pre-filter box be aware that the outlet pours straight down and not horizontally accross the water surface - this might cause too much water force in a small nano

5) If you do use the pre-filter box realize it'll take up alot on interior tank room in small nano's

other than that imo its a great skimmer!

AZDesertRat

I agree with everyone that the Remora is probably the Cadillac of HOB skimmers but the problems as I see them are:

1. They are much more expensive than anything else in their class

2. You hardly ever find them used either

3. They take up a lot of real estate in a small system

4. Flows are probably a little much for a 20G or smaller

I have a Seaclone, Prizm, Jebo, 2- modified Skilters and a BakPak II and the BakPak is by far the best of the bunch but its really too big for my 20H with the pump and the return taking up a lot of room. (although I did put my heater in the skimmer so its out of the tank)

Archived