Pod Your Reef

1st Nano - Looking for suggestions

Makoshark

Greetings Everyone!

I have a 55 Gal Reef Tank at home. I'm running out of room and I was thinking about starting a Nano tank at work so I can enjoy my hobby where I spend most of my time. I'm looking to keep things simple and power consumption low to keep the bosses from balking at the idea.

Can anyone recommend an off the shelf solution that is 5.5 gals or less. I'd prefer not to have to bulild a canopy.

If I go fishless can I get away with just a 13W light , ebo heater, and a powerhead? Obviously, I won't try keeping Acropora in a tank with less that 8 watts per gallon.

TIA!

i know you said 5.5g or less but for presentation the 7g bow is the prettiest imo. the 5g bow is ok but i don't like acrylic. the E3 is another option too. (psst, take the 7g)

if you go smaller you can try the 2.5g with the 13W. i think djm has one in the members' section. altho that may be a bit small for co-workers curious of what you've got on your desk. B) hth

Thanks Tiny!

The other concideration is weight. I'm not sure how much weight these brackets that hold up the desktop can handle. Also, here in cubicle world a sixty pound tank can be a real challenge if I need to pick it up and move it. "Didn't you get the memo? We're tearing down your half of the building to make all the cubes 12" smaller."

The more I think about it the more I keep talking myself into a 2.5 bowfront with a 13W light. (5.2wpg) I'm not setting up the tank for the coworkers anyway. :)

Am I correct in assuming that I can put in a screw in 13W bulb. I though I saw something like that on All Glass' website. Are there any issues in doing that?

i thought i saw something on that too (screw-in PC). AGA's official position is that the tiny tanks aren't for SW but as long as you watch your salt creep it should be fine imo. (brzzt! :o )

i would think you'd be fine with the 3g and under then. roughly 8 lbs. per gallon (water/rock/etc) should be ok considering old crt monitors can go on those cubes. the 2.5g is probably the best on your wallet. tank/cover/hob/LR/LS/heater will probably run you $50~$75. the galaxy light is around $20 but i would upgrade that bulb if you go inverts (marine depot).

Look at http://www.oc-creative.com/reef/

There are a few 2.5 and 5 bow guys on there. Look in fourms for pictures. They have the screw in PC in theirs. I have a 7 and yes they are very heavy and hard to move when full. I was thinking about the 2.5 for my desk at work and I have also heard that AGA is shipping out a 16 gallon bow...

mako, head to all-glass's website. they give the net weight of each filled tank (the ones they sell) and the 7 is on there.

don't forget to add in the weight of sand, rock and equipment.

Archived