Cultivated Reef

Starting a 2 Gallon Hex

Jon-Paul

I have finally decided to start buying for my 2 Gallon Hex tank. I just need to know if my equipment is alright..

2 Gallon Hexagon Acrylic Tank

Hagen 25W Thermal Compact Submersible Heater

Rio 50 Powerhead

Desklamp with 13 watt PC 50/50 Bulb

4lbs Live Rock

4lbs Live Sand

There will be no filter. Just the PH. My LFS told me that the heater may melt the Acrylic Plastic. IS this true? Also is this heater good I have a link to it and the Powerhead.

Powerhead - http://www.aquatictech.com/pumps.html

Heater - http://www.epetpals.com/cgi-bin/commerce.e...ey=015561107211

Also the corals I hope to house are pretty basic ones. Mushrooms, Zoos, Green Star Polyps and maybe a Xenia? Would these be all right given my lighting or would they need a 2x13 watt PC?

Anyway Thanx For any replies B)

Jon-Paul

i wouldn't worry about the heater too much as keeping it cool with the light on is more of an issue. nitetime temps may go down in the winter depending on how cold you keep the room.

you can setup the system and run it for a while (cycling) and see where the temp goes high and low. it greatly depends upon the room's ambient temp at night but is completely dictated by the light during the day period for such a small tank so right now (summer) the heater is unnecessary imo (depending upon your nighttime room temp).

you have to be vigilant with wc's and your salinity levels for such a small system tho. the rio may be a little strong for that system, especially given the shape of the tank. one of the micro or minjets may be a better choice as they have multiple settings and can go lower than the rio50 (the smallest miijet, i believe).

i would definitely think about trying to fit on the AZoo tiny filter or the AC Mini (not sure if the Mini fits the hex shape tho ??? ). numerous benefits to a hob (there's a number of in-depth discussions on it).

imo the xenia will need the 2x13w. i used to run a 1g hex and wasn't happy with the 13w (or the 2x13w for that matter) for my xenia. hth

I have my 50w heater right next to the crease in my acrylic tank, and it has caused no problems. Maybe if the acrylic was paper thin it might cause a problem...

Tinyreef Thanx

The 2 Gallons faces are 4.5 inches each. i believe the Ac Mini is 5 or 5.5 or something to big. I will do a search on the Azoo Filter I think I have seen it on other tanks.

You say the Powerhead is too small? What other sizes are avalibe for it? Actually if I find a filter small enough would I need a Powerhead?

The temp in my room is about an average 20 in the winter/fall/spring and in the summer it is about 25 (I sleep in the basement :happy: ).

Thanx again

I found finally the Azoo Palm Power Filter Online! Anyway the filter filters 16 GPH and is 3"x3-1/2"x5" (LxWxH). It's small enough for the hexagon's faces.

Next I had to find a smaller Powerhead (whether I still need it or not I don't know) It's the Micro-Jet Model 320 with a 32, 48 or 73 GPH flow rate.

I am going to go with one PC 50/50 Bulb and not two and not add the xenia.

Here are the links to the sites advertising these products

Azoo Palm Filter - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...d=6&pCatId=9821

Micro-Jet 320 - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...d=6&pCatId=4601

Thanx again B)

i was thinking that the rio might be too strong/big for the tank given its circular (basically) shape. the current could be broken up a bit with the aquascaping tho. try the hob and then judge for yourself if you think you need more flow. the mini/microjets are adjustable flows versus the rio so they give you some options. good luck!

peppermint22
I found finally the Azoo Palm Power Filter Online! Anyway the filter filters 16 GPH and is 3"x3-1/2"x5" (LxWxH). It's small enough for the hexagon's faces.

I have visited the link and I didn't know AZOO had such a teeny weeny little filter. It's a MUST BUY for my 5 gallon nano!!!Thanks for the enlightenment!:D

Archived