SaltCritters.com

Fuge problems???

Nullig

I have a 10 gal nano setup with a divider to create a fuge at the back of the tank (see diagram). My problem is with the fuge partition... there seems to be too little flow, which lets the surface get kinda scummy and I have to skim it every couple of days. I thought that the overflow from the main display would provide enough movement to keep to keep the surface clear, but that is not the case.

I was thinking that I might add an airstone to provide some movement in the fuge. What do you think?

Noel

fuge area should have very little water movement. This allows the pods and other critters back there to thrive in a safe environment.

I agree, the fuge movement needs to be relatively slow to work correctly.

From your diagram, it seems like the water level would be uniform throughout the tank. To have the scum removed, you need to get the water level on the fuge side lower than the tank so that the surface is broken and the sluge falls into the fuge.

How to do that? I don't know.

The water level is about an inch lower in the fuge, so the water from the display cascades through the overflow. I know that the fuge should have less movement, but I'm a little concerned with the surface being a bit scummy.

Noel

Archived