ReefCleaners.org

Totally Unbelievable!

peppermint22

peppermint22

Totally unbelievable! Yesterday a whole crate of regal blue tangs just arrived at my LFS (probably to meet the demands of "Dories" and "Nemos". They were flown in from dunno where as I saw the air cargo sticker saying "Live Tropical Fish..."

Yesterday at the LFS I was looking at the gobie tank when a bunch of kids ran up beside me screaming 'Its Nemo!! Nemo!!' at the ocellaris tank. I informed them that in fact they had identified the proper Genus, but their species identification was off. They didn't get it and bought a nemo for the bowl they had in their hands (a .5g).

it's a shame 1/2 of LFS never heard the words ethics or responsibility...... only words they're familiar with are CHA and CHING!!!!!:|

ahh...don't go blaming your LFS for getting a big shipment of Hippos in...mine does all the time...before and after this stupid Nemo craze. They buy in bulk and sell in bulk..after all..Hippos are one of the more colorful and fun sw fish. And its not exactly like we're talking endangered species here...heck..Hippos are even being captive raised now (not captive BRED...captive raised..i.e...they go out and catch a bunch of larval hippos and raise them in tanks). If this is in fact where your LFS is getting them..they're even to be commended for helping to promote captive rearing efforts. And I'm not sure what the problem is with the big box labeled "Tropical Fish"...thats how most fish arrive at the LFS...(usually from the distributor)..heck..if you'd looked closer..like I said..they may even be from someplace like ORA in Florida....captive-raised and ready for the aquarium. But who knows..either way...I don't see anything overly deplorable with getting in a shipment of P. hepatus. (getting sick of saying "Hippo"...lol)

This whole Nemo topic has probably been done to death here, but you do have to commend Pixar for choosing as its star one of the few ocean fishes to be captive bred, whether intentional or not (or maybe somebody at Pixar owns stock in ORA! Heh!).

Still, you also have to wonder whether it would have been better for Nemo to have been some kind of scorpionfish or maybe a blue ring octopus. Just to thin out the herds a little, ya know... ;)

Christopher Marks
Originally posted by SteveC

Still, you also have to wonder whether it would have been better for Nemo to have been some kind of scorpionfish or maybe a blue ring octopus.  Just to thin out the herds a little, ya know... ;)

That's the best idea yet! LOL :D

dude ippo tangs have been and always will be a largely demanded fish. i had been oredering those y the doezens in all sizes when i worked for my lfs and they sold out as fast as we could get them

When I was at the LFS yesterday, I heard atleast 4 little kids go look Nemo!! Nemo!! Mommy look! Nemo....it's Nemo, and the other fish...mommy look, it's NEMO!! Neeeeeeeee-moooooooooooooooooooooo.

I can't wait until the craze is over. :)

Yep, I think all the LFS around here have been getting those super tiny nickel sized blue tangs.

Most people buy like 2-5 of them at once...

peppermint22

How much are your LFS selling them at? Mine is (converted to US dollars) $10.00 for a medium sized 5cm regal blue tang.

Your LFS considers a 2" (roughly 5cm) fish "medium" lol? Have you seen a full grown Hippo? They're 10-12" fish as adults...2" is hardly medium..but still..thats a good price even for that size. That price makes me think that they may not be TR after all...probably wild caught (is this the correct season?)...the cheapest I've seen any Hippo sold for around here was $25US..and that was for the VERY juvenile 2" size that you're talking about. Just letting you know...

peppermint22

Sorry, my bad judgement of size - it should be less than medium then. About the price, I didn't know that you'd be thinking that it's cheap. Probably it's because I live around the Indo-Pacific region. They are a real beauty, but sadly it's impossible to keep any in my 5G nano-reef.

Yeah..they get a bit big for a nano...I've seen them put in nanos for some grow-out time when they're purchased small..but as they are fairly quick growers..they have to be moved into a large tank within a short amount of time....ah well...

peppermint22

I live in Malaysia, which is that bulging peninsular above Singapore. It's really a nice place, especially with all the tiny islands located on the South China Sea. (There's plenty of fish to see too!)

Archived