Cultivated Reef

Thin White film on surface of water

sen5241b

I did a water change out a week ago but today I noticed a thin white film on the surface of the water. The film is not uniform, it seems to be a little thicker in some places with swirls of it. A piece of floating food will create a little trail behind it clear of the film. There is good flow and a new charcoal filter is in place. Anybody seen this before?

I did add some very salty water in slow increments to bring the salinity up starting a couple days ago.

neanderthalman

Protein scum. If you don't have a ton of surface turbulence, an overflow box or surface skimmer attachment for a HOB device, then it builds up over time and forms a scum on the surface of the water. take a drinking glass, right side up, and nearly submerge it in the tank. Then, tip it slightly so that a little bit of water starts to slowly run into the glass. That'll start to collect the film from the surface. Dump the water and repeat as necessary until it's gone, but expect it to return.

The other option is to drop a paper towel flat on the surface of the water, then immediately pick it up and toss it. Repeat as necessary, and again expect it to return.

geekreef_05

Agreed with everything said, although I dont think you require a protien skimmer asap.

Basically your lacking appropriate flow if there's surface scum. Increase your flow and get the surface water really moving.

Before doing that, remove as much scum as possible from the surface as suggested. Remember that increased surface aggregation can really up your evaporation rate, so keep that in mind. Down the road you might wanna consider an ATO device. Frankly Id put the ATO as a higher priority than the skimmer.

If you're keeping a high bioload and require slightly lower flow due to your inhabitants... it might be time for that skimmer.

Agreed with everything said, although I dont think you require a protien skimmer asap.

Basically your lacking appropriate flow if there's surface scum. Increase your flow and get the surface water really moving.

Before doing that, remove as much scum as possible from the surface as suggested. Remember that increased surface aggregation can really up your evaporation rate, so keep that in mind. Down the road you might wanna consider an ATO device. Frankly Id put the ATO as a higher priority than the skimmer.

If you're keeping a high bioload and require slightly lower flow due to your inhabitants... it might be time for that skimmer.

Pointed the head at the surface and it was gone a day or so later. Thx!

Archived