Cultivated Reef

Hmmm, something seems odd about this ACCLIMATOIN!

Dennis_said

Dennis_said

So today I went to Jeff's and I bought:

5 Margaritas

2 Astreas

1 SKunk Cleaner

To start my little cleaning crew for my 15g...

So... I acclimate for about 3 hours... let in the margarita snails from the top glass (let them walk in)... they did, and they IMMEDIATELY started munching... awesome

Next... were the ASTREAs... I put them on the glass too, but they just moved around slowly in one spot... so I took them off the glass cuz I had to go out and was afraid they'd crawl out... put them on the LR in my tank... they just chilling there.... I think they have their little suckers there, but aren't moving...

Skunk Cleaner setup his station and is good to go :)

My question is... are Astrea any less hardy or more difficult to take care of than Margarita's?? What's up w/ mine? just a little edgy :)

Allot of Astrea snails seem to do there work during the night. Back when I had diatoms on my rocks, I would place all my Astrea snails on the rock I wanted them to clean before I went to bed and by morning the rock would be clean.

Margarita's are cold water snails, so they will die allot faster, easier, and sooner than Astrae snails in reef tanks.

The only problem with astreas is that if they fall and land upside down, they have no way of righting themselves and will die. Otherwise they're pretty hardy IME. Some (?) of mine actually reproduced in my nano a few months ago, which was good since a couple of the adults got killed by a nasty since then.

gulf of mexico...not really cold but like low to mid 70s i think. as long ads they are properly acclimated they can live for a long time.

Archived