ReefCleaners.org

floor strength

Jandree22

is there any good, easy way(other than contacting a contractor) to figure out if a floor can withstand a 900lb aquarium? My house is 17 years old and still in good shape, if that matters. I dunno, maybe there isn't any easy way to figure it out.... any thoughts? Thanks!

~Joel

I's sure there are some engineers on here who could probably tell you this if you gave them the dimentions of your tank, loaded weight, what size floor joists were used (the manufactured I beam type or dimensional lumber size) and if the tank will be placed perpendicular to or parallel with the floor joists (meaning will it straddle more than one joist or only one.

You may even be able to find out by checking with someone who knows the local building codes.

Just a thought....good luck....I'm glad I have a concrete slab for my finished basement.

The floor joists are probably 16'' on center, so I would put the tank over as many as posible to help support the weight more evenly.

If the house is raised off the ground enough you could always put some pressure treated wood supports underneath just incase.

Your house is fairly new so I'm guessing you would be fine, I would check for any woodrot, termites,or water damage first and then proceed further.

Agreed.. they the Beams will be 16 inches apart.. So set the tank up so its centereed over the beams. what i did with a 125 gallon tank that was about 1500 LBS i installed cross beams connecting the joist just for added support.

My basement was nto finished so it was easy.

wow, you guys are good... haha... our basement isn't fully finished so we can still see the beams on the ceiling, 16" is right on the money:o Although I was planning on going parallel and sitting it on one, possibly two beams if placed just right(18" wide tank/stand), I guess it'd be smarter to place it perpendicular so it'd be sitting on 2, maybe 3 beams?(48"long)

Archived