inTank Media Baskets

stupid condy ate my cleaner shrimp

Spencerx

background: i was in an LFS today and i was dabbling around looking for nothing in particular as usual. I went to look in the FW section (never been in it before) and noticed that they had ghost shrimp. So i thought "eh why not, something in the tank will eat em'. So i payed $1 and got like 8 of em. I get home, throw 2 in the 10g (swam into the rocks), 1 in the 2.5 (rocks again), and the rest in the 55. Well my condy and goby both seem to love these guys. So i think thats cool and everything. In my 55 i also have a cleaner shrimp that likes to hang around the anenome, rubs its antennae on it but it never tried to eat it.

later: I come into my room and look at the anenome and see two big white antennae sticking out of it! I got ####ed, dunked my hand into the tank and tried to pull the shrimp out, alas the anenome got a $21 snack.

conundrum: Do you think the anenome now found a taste for shrimp? Maybe he tasted the good ghost shrimp and thought that the cleaner was the same thing? This really makes me angry! Atleast I didnt get stung like offspring did...X)

My cleaner tries to steal the food from my torch whenever I feed it. Sometimes, it got a few tentacles stuck on it as a result. My best guess is that your cleaner got too adventurous trying to steal from your condy, and got eaten as a result.

easy on the stinging bit. i still have nightmares about man eating condy's standing over my be holding salt and pepper shakers........*shivers*:unsure:

Hey, at least you know the cleaner is gone, mine is MIA and was 30 bux. Sorry to hear man. BUT good find on the ghost, they are cool

Originally posted by Dustin

Hey, at least you know the cleaner is gone, mine is MIA and was 30 bux.

I feel your pain, brotha... Mine went MIA after one night in my tank... all I got thus far is shrooms, ocellaris, and yellow tailed damsel. I think the damself got his protein that night:

That'll teach you to own a condy...no good lousy non-hosting free-loading wandering-all-over-the-tanking blobs of proteinaceous goo. (My hate for the condylactic runs deep..can you tell? lol)

Cony anemones are the worst anemones to own in a reef. They are hunters and will make a quick meal of anything they can get their tentacles on. There is no exception. They pack a very powerfull sting towards other anemones as well.

Some people like the way they look, most do not. If you are one that does not care, perhaps you should trade it in for another shrimp.

Either way, this will not be your last expensive meal to be fed to it. So be prepared! :)

Get an eel, or an octo i had a snowflake that would be MIA about once a month i learned that the first place to look was my bedroom closet. he would work his way into my dirty clothes. the octo was his partaner in crime. no matter what he would manage to get the rocks off the lid making the escape easy for the the eel, amazingly the eel never died i always found him mid venture.

Sounds like you tank is not octo proof. Is the octo a bimac? You should check out Tonmo.com for some details on how to keep him in I wont go into it here.

My ric a a pep shrimp in my 2.5 (more like killed half ingested and spit back out.

JJ

Archived