Innovative Marine Aquariums

Argh, I'm back to the drawin board!

Flipturn88

Ahh! This has become so frustating! I had everything worked out. I would get a 30 gallon tank/stand, remora protein skimmer, 45 lbs of live rock from drmaccorals.com, etc. etc. Well, things didn't go as smoothly as planned.

I talked to the LFS manager who obviously knew a lot, but basically told me that because I am a newbie I NEED to get a tank that is MINIMUM of 55 gallons (and of course they had one on sale for mere 300 buck--including stand). Well, yeah I would have gone with it if that didn't meen more/bigger equipment, live rock, lighting, and considering all my money comes from babysitting, I don't have the regular income to continually dish out more and more money for equipment I'm not sure is even necessary. I had enought money for 30 gallons, but now I'm not sure if I'm really as ready as I should. If money wasn't an issue in my case, my story would change...

I guess my point is, is it possible for a newbie (who spends hours upon hours of research on her dream) to successfully run a 30 gallon tank??? This whole thing makes me wonder what I'm getting myself into....

Sorry I just really need someone(s) to vent to. All this time and effort CANNOT go to waste :*(

~Kayla

If I were there I would go kick your lfs manager in the gonads.

Let me tell you my story ... I have never had an aquarium of ANY type in my life (not even goldfish). I started a 12 gallon Eclipse reef tank and it's turned out pretty decent.

This stuff isn't rocket science, the 55 gallon argument is so old school it ridiculous, and that guy needs to visit nano-reef sometime to get a huge wake up call.

Build your 30 gallon and make it awesome!

My LFS told me the same thing. It was a kiddo working there, so I took his advice with a grin.

He told me little reef tanks are difficult to keep and I might end up killing everything.

This is my first marine tank, let alone REEF tank, and I am doing quite well. Read up, do your water changes, and you will do just fine.

Second both of the previously mentioned opinions. I was told those same things.

My first foray into saltwater was a 28 gal., and it's still up and running as we speak (well, it's now in a 20 gal.). There's a learning curve involved, but those people who tell you that you can't do a small tank successfully are morons.

Have a look at the "featured nano" on the front page of this web site. That's a 2.5 gallon. It can be done and yes, you can do it too. It's not rocket science, just basic skills. As long as you stay on top of your water you will be okay. That's really all there is to it.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

read up, go slow, be patient, and you'll be fine.

now i'm gonna go against the grain here. the lfs was just trying to be 'helpful'. he doesn't want you to blow away all you $$$ and then blame him. he wants a repeat customer ($$$ but who can blame him for that?).

his advice is sound, to go bigger. in fact, i applaud him for refusing you biz but he should be a little more open to the possibilities that a newb can be a successful 1st time reefer. it's probably that he's seen 50 other guys fail for every one that succeeds. the fact that he said it's "just because you're a newb" shows he does accept nanos but just that he reserves their place for vet-reefers. (also a rapidly outdated mode of thought imo ;) ).

don't write off that lfs guy yet. start slow and show him that you're willing to start slow. and don't freak out on him when things go bad tho, you picked your path by then. just be patient and learn the directions and signs to follow. hth

Actually the manager was a girl.... :happy:

Thanks guys. Wow, it's amazing how some people care only about profit, not about a 14-year-olds wallet :D They also said that I couldn't add all my live rock in at once--it would all die because there would be no food source. Ummmm...... never once have I heard of that before in all my many hours of research. Maybe it was because I told them I wanted to order it online all at once....? Am I wrong in thinking that putting in all your LR in at once is the WHOLE POINT OF THE CYCLE (to some degree)??? They also wanted me to cycle it with damsels, and use a biowheel filter (which I thought stole all the nutrients and starved the LR?). Gee, I know this is a matter of opinion, but when what they tell me totally contradicts everything I started to believe, I can't help but wonder...

~Kayla

MrNoahCount

You might think about using a sump. It would increase your water volume. Now this will require more of an investment for an overflow box and a return pump. I wouldn't think it would be near as big a jump as going to a 55 gallon with enough LR and LS to fill it. I'm a newbie too and I don't want to lead you down a wrong path but I used a 10 gallon tank as a sump just to hide all my equipment in. The most expensive thing was the overflow box at around 80 bucks. Water return pump was 35 more. Just a thought.

Michael

Forgot to mention, my main tank is a 29 g.

I agree that your dealer is trying to be helpful, but she appears to be giving you dated information, although a lot of books will give you a similar point of view.

I think anybody can keep a nano reef, if they follow the principles discussed on this site.

A 28-gallon tank would be a good size and 45 lbs of live rock would be perfect for it. Cycle your LR all at once, there is no need to drag out the cycle as you keep adding more rock (not to mention the extra shipping charges). However, please don’t cycle with damsels, the rock will add all the ammonia you need and it will not die of starvation. Do not use a biowheel filter (the rock is your filter); although an HOB filter without any of the cartridges makes a nice addition. The skimmer isn’t necessary either as water changes can remove the excess nutrients.

it's called upselling.....i like how all the filter manufacturers try and make a simple motor pump and carbon filter sound like rocket science in their advertising.....you can get a dvd player for less than some of these skimmers and filters

Archived