Innovative Marine Aquariums

tank crashing

gookster

my tank keeps crashing and everything dies, snails hermits etc. and im starting to wonder if its because of some toxin in the tank because i got the tank from a science lab. I tested the water parameters and they were never crazy. So now im going to get a new 10 g tank and some live sand, but i want to keep the live rock. Can i just transfer it from the tank i have now to a new tank or will it also bring any toxins that have been introduced to the original tank? thanks for the help.

tank from a lab? ??? ewww, you've got monkeypox!

is it a really big tank or special? otherwise, you should've just gotten a new All-Glass tank for about $20. bada-bing! (i know, after-the-fact advice but other new peeps are reading this too)

transferring the stuff to another tank can just 'infect' the new tank. not knowing wtf was/is in the 'lab tank' can definitely be an issue but i gotta think they wouldn't just hand out ebola tanks to the public or anything like that. (tiny's inner voice: you're not trading any frags with this guy, ever!)

i would nuke the LR or keep the old tank separate. i'd hate for you to crash two tanks. give us some history of the 'frankentank' and maybe we can figure out the true cause.

get all new stuff... you'll regret it 6 months from now if the same thing happens again from LR contamination. I know it'll be hard to trash the dead LR and what not, but it's for the best. GL

Ok, I'll be the conservative one and suggest you don't start the "slash and burn method yet"!

"I tested the water parameters and they were never crazy."

What does that mean? Numbers for NH3, NO2, NO3, SG, Temp? Also where did you get the inhabitants and what is that store track record? Do you have any caulerpa? It can release toxins.....

I only say this cuz, well, "Hi My name is John and I'm a science geek" I've worked in science labs for 10 years and unless your hermits have a high fever, bad cough, or bleeding pustuals, I don't think it is the biblical plague that tiny speaks of, besides, I think Tiny might be a bit of a germ phobe anyway(JK!). Make sure they didn't use any copper based treatments in the tank. I guess it can leach into the silicon and release back into the water long after the treatment.

Starting over seems so drastic w/o any evidence.

Archived