Coral Vue Hydros

How often should I be changing water

newbiefishgirl

newbiefishgirl

I have been changing out two gallons per week on my tank. But this past week I got a little lazy and didn't. Now I checked my water last night and everything is still reading perfectly. Do you still suggest a water change to be done anyways, or leave things as they be until next week?? Is it better to change every week, or just as needed??

10% weekly, 20% every two weeks... I wouldn't suggest intervals over two weeks. Yes you can occasionally get away without a weekly 10% change, 20% biweeklys causes a lil bit more serious of a situation if you miss...leaves a whole month between changes. whatever you do, just don't make a habit outa missin;)

newbiefishgirl

Thanks guys, I will make sure I do it tonight or tomarrow night for sure.

I am adding about 4 snails tonight after work because I dont think the one is enough and he does a good job cleaning. The glass on the sides gets so dirty... i think If I had a few more they might keep it nice!

eh, my 5 astrea snails in my 10gal don't do squat... they look cool so thats why I still have em:) I have a magnetic algae scraper to actually take care of most of the algae

newbiefishgirl

OH really? I have read that mexican and tubos do a good job. I dont believe I read anything about astrea. How much are those scrapers?? Will my LFS have one???

I've got about 8 astrea snails in my 10g and I don't have to clean the glass at all. The corraline algae is coming in slowly with the great job the snails do, it looks like I just dumped everything in the tank this morning.

-ML

i'm not sure about mexicans, but turbos get pretty big. Astrea's get to about 1" i think and turbo's can get up to about 2".

changing the water once a week is also less stressful for your sealife. at once a week intervals, the ratio of water you are switching out is less, so the inevitable change in water chemistry is less dramatic.

don't get a magnet scraper from you LFS... they'll probably jack up prices. aquarium magnet scrapers can most likely be found in Walmart of Target

I just use a razor blade once in a blue moon to get the stuff the astreas and the urchin can't seem to pull off of there. Seems to make the filter feeders awfully happy. I've tried those magnet things with my FW tanks and don't do as good a job on the really stuck-on spot algae.

Archived