Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Question about marine blue light

peppermint22

peppermint22

Hello! I need some help over here. I just bought a 10W marine blue lamp from my LFS and it makes everything look amazing! It kept me staring at it for quite a long time, but after that, my eyes felt funny. Is blue actinic/UV harmful to humans in the long run? I keep my nano-reef in my bedroom.

if it's MH, then it gives off UV. If it's a flourescent bulb, then you're fine. My black light in my room screws around with my eyes a lot too... hehe.... i think it's just that shade of light:blink:

hey Jandree22, did u ever see the panguin trip the walking one with his foot?...i like that one too.....sorry just had to comment on it

peppermint22

How do u tell the difference between MH and a fluorescent bulb? Can't find anything on my packaging, but the lamp looks like those long, fluorescent tubes. So does that make it a fluorescent bulb???

AZDesertRat

Sounds like an incandescent bulb to me. Does the bulb screw in or have pins on the end(s)? Is it only 10 watts? I had a small screw in incandescent 25w bulb on my 5G fish only that had a really cool shimmering blue color to it but it burned out and I haven't been able to find the same bulb since. They are either too dark blue or too white which makes all the colors look washed out.

peppermint22

It has 2 pins on each end, and it looks exactly like my Phillips fluorescent study light. And one more thing: since my tank is only 23.5cm high, do I really need double lighting? I only have a small clump of buttons and mushrooms. Oh, and lastly, is this blue actinic thing or UV from aquarium lamps harmful to humans?

AZDesertRat

Polyps and mushrooms will survive under almost any lighting. The key is they probably won't grow very fast if at all though. My 15G is 15" high and has 62w of power compact fluorscents (2x13 and 2x18) while my 20G is 18" high and has 165w (3x55) power compacts. For about 8 years I used 4x15w normal output fluorscents on the 20G (2actinic and 2daylight or Triton bulbs) and sucessfully kept several colors of mushrooms and button polyps in it so it can be done on a budget. I would at least try to have 2 bulbs with one being a daylight type if it were me.

Ain't this fun! I'd be a rich man if I had never gotten hooked on this hobby.

peppermint22

So, is mine an incandescent or a fluorescent lamp? (I'm so naive!):blush:

Hey! I've changed my avatar! It's a pic of my 2 clowns.

AZDesertRat

Normal output fluorescent. I'm guessing its about 12" long and maybe 1/2 to 3/4" diameter? I have one like that around here somewhere that came on a 5.5G tank I bought used.

peppermint22

Yup, you are right! Thanks for clarifying my doubts! It's a good thing that it's a fluorescent (save my electricity bills) otherwise my parents will go after me!:angry::)

AZDesertRat

10 watts is 10 watts regardless of whether its fluorescent, metal halide or incandescent. Watt for watt fluorescents run cooler than incandescents though and they have much better color as you have seen yourself.

Archived