Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help me

SeaFish

I am confused about power compact lighting configurations. What is the difference between the square pin and the linear pin? Is one more beneficial then the other? which one of the configuration gives me the most options in lamp choice? Which one of the configuration is more popular and most widely distributed ? What do you guys personally prefer?

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/...?threadid=14806

http://www.thekrib.com/Lights/power-compacts.html#9

Functionally there is no difference to inline or square pin configurations. They're just different configurations for the same wires. Every manufacturer has to be different because they think they know the best proprietary way to do things.

Originally I think the square pin configuration, the GY10q socket was started by Panasonic.

I don't know who started the inline 2G11 configuration but they're referred to as 'german' so I assume the originated in Germany, maybe by Hamilton?

You say potato and Dan Quayle says potatoe Germany says 2G11 and Japan saysI GY10q.

I'm not sure which is dominant, maybe the panasonic square pin configuration? Maybe it's a toss up. It seems to me that there are slightly more color options for square pin bulbs than for inline bulbs. I find that kind of strange since CSL is the sole distributor of Panasonic manufactured bulbs, however there are other makers of square pin bulbs, hellolights for example has someone produce all of their bulbs for them and it's not Panasonic.

I have 32W and 28W CSL bulbs and I like them just fine. Never tried german style bulbs.

You will also find that the commonly available wattages are different.

Square Pin comes in 28W, 32W, 55W, 65W and 96W

Inline comes in 18W, 24W, 36W, 55W

Thank you for your quick reply.

My other question is since csl is a very reputable company and they only produce the sqaure pin configuration, is there other company who make the linear configuration who is just as reputable in their ballast? I know jbj makes linear pin configuration but jbj isnt all that great in quality and customer service. So who makes the best german configuration ballast?

You don't have to get the bulb and ballast from the same manufacturer. There aren't as you say german ballasts to go with the german bulbs and you don't "need" to have the csl ballast to light the cls bulb. However some of the retrofit kits csl sells are quite nice and some of them at a reasonable price for the bundle like their smartlite retrofit kits.

Fluorscent bulbs must be used with a ballast. The ballast steps up the power to the voltage and frequency needed to start and light the ballast. Most ballasts are designed to light specific lamps. You just need to make sure the ballast supports your lamp is all.

The cadillac of ballasts are the ones produced by icecap since they'll light just about anything and produce great results, but they're the most expensive electronic ballast around.

And that's aonother thing, ballasts come in magnetic or electronic versions. You'll probably want to use an electronic ballast since they put out less heat and illuminate larger number of lamp configurations.

The best value ballasts are probably ones you can find on hellolights web site or Fulham Workhorse ballasts. Fulham has a ballast selector on their website and you can find out which one you need. Fulham ballasts are what CSL uses in most of their retrofit kits BTW.

Afer you get the ballast all you need are the proper lamp holders for your bulb (either square or straight pin) to connect them to. It can be daunting for the beginner or if you just don't want to hassle with DIY stuff you can just buy it prewired, I guess that's what you were looking at. Check out the kits on hellolights.com, good products at reasonable prices. There are others out there with reasonable stuff, AHsupply, etc...

Archived