SaltCritters.com

Mechanical Filtration or not

Chronicles

10gal fish only w/ Eclipse 1 system on top. I've been thinking about gutting the filter pad stuff off and leaving the black grate where the carbon sits on the other side and just putting in a bag of SeaChem Seagel which is the carbon/phos remover also a bag of Chemi-Pure under it. Would this be better then leaving the filter pad? Being I read it can trap the food and release bad stuff into the water? Thanks.

sounds good....it's not the mechanical filtration that's the problem with the filter floss, but rather the biological activity that starts up in the floss over time. i just rinse mine out in freshwater. you want all the biological filtration to be handled by your LR and LS.....the floss will compete with your LR and LS. carbon can host biological bacteria too....so you might want to rinse the media bag in freshwater once a week and let it dry....that prevents your media bag carbon from startng up biological filtration

Well I don't have LR so that won't be a problem, the lady at the LFS said that my carbon may be leaching phos into the water. I'd rather all the cultures be on my biowheel rather then the filter floss. I'm guessing that's where most of it is since it pulls the biozyme in that I dump in the tank. I got a purigen pack to replace the carbon, I'm off to gut the filter thing to remove the carbon but keep the floss.

i hear ya.....in that case tho....disregard the comment about rinsing out your media and filter floss, you will need that bio-activity....if you use a filter bag, it might be a good idea to buy loose floss and cut it to size to cover the media bag to prevent it from clogging, encourage bio-activity, and distribute the water flow over the media bag underneath and trap large debris. rinse that from time to time in saltwater or cut a new piece.....i used to rinse my floss out in the old water from a water change before i discarded it (preserves the bacteria on there, but gets rid of food and other debris particles)

Well I gutted out the carbon from the long eclipse thing and kept the floss on there. I put the premade bag of SeaChem Purigen on top of the floss and it looks like it's leaching little sand-like things into the water, the fish are even eating some of them. I've rinsed it many times, oh well. The purigen will be better then the carbon correct? I'd much rather have the cultures on the wheel then the floss being it says I should replace it every 30days. I'll see how long it takes the purigen to turn colors before I change anything and recharge the purigen.

Archived