Innovative Marine Aquariums

branhy thing?

Vincerama

THis is weird, and they JUST showed up after 4 weeks of tank setup. It's looks like a branch and it was not here before. I started dosing kalk a week ago, very small amounts.

I THINK that green thing next to the branhy thing is Halimeda, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any info!

V

keep a close watch on the macro algaes. I had a nice, little stalk of green (less than one inch) in my old 7 that came on a small frag. I thought it looked great so I left it. Before I knew what was happening, the tank was covered in the stuff. (turned out it was bryopsis).

OK, so I WANT the Halimeda, right? And I should keep an eye on the branchy thing. There are a bunch of them and they seem easy to "harvest" (ie; pull out and toss).

I'm just amazed I haven't seen them until now!

V

I don't think the branchy thing is bryopsis. It looks like the caulerpa-like macro that hitchhiked in on my Gulf-View rock. It was never any trouble. It grew and spread a little but it was easy to harvest, until one day when my tank's algae eaters' appetites exceeded my tank's ability to produce algae.

Now, sadly, it's gone (I had kinda liked it) along with every other macro besides the halimeda. Just about every clean-up critter in the tank would at least pick at that stuff, and the emerald crab in particular seemed to really like it.

Archived