Innovative Marine Aquariums

Scooter Blenny?

scubasteve

my scooter blenny is a rock hopper and sleeps under the sand. i feed him a mixture witch includes brine shrimp myst shrimp flake food and mareain qusean. (i killed the spelling.)

he seems to like his home.

hth

i have a female scooter i turn the filters and power heads off when i feed my fish

it eats mostly what the other fish get little flakes mostly

likes the diffrent types of shrimp and blood worms all fortified (the shrimp and the worms)they are related to the manderin fish so they eat corpods too

male scooter has a much longer dorsal finn and are usually larger than the  female the male will bully the female some times so be carful

there very cute  a good fish  for cycling your tank not aggressive atoll

yeah..great little fish. except for the fact that they cant keep up with semi-storng currents, or atr least my couldn't.(past tense, read on). i came home today and his entrails were all over the place! he got sucked up into the powerhead. found his carcus under a rock. but hey, thats how it goes sometimes.

-Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a few and they ended up starving to death.  The majority of the ones I see usually look quite thin also.  I think they are like the mandarin and starve to death alot if not kept in a large reef tank with lots of pods.  I couldn't get mine to eat anything.  It would just pick at rocks a little here and there.

Jy, the Scooter blenny is almost identical to the Mandarin, they are both Dragonets, not only tough to keep in captivity but pretty much a no-no for a nano

• 1 month later...

my scooter female was thin when i got her way back in sept she soon fattened up and is very healty

she dose mating dance when she sees me ahhhh:)

i have pretty strong currant in my 15gal

1 millennium 1000 bio filter

1 fluval 2 power head both have covers so none of the

fish or any thing else can be sucked into them

i dont recomend you leave any filter or powerhead uncovered lose some good critters if they get suck in

:(

i think most stores sell covers for all the filters and powerheads

good luck :flower2:

I have two scotter blenny (for about 8 months), they are doing great in my 45 gal FOWLR ( and I have only about 15-20 lb of LR in there.  I also turn off my filter when I feed the fish, and the scotter will just eat the food sink  to the bottom.  They are both fat and happy.  I think they are pretty easy to take care of.  I only feed them frozen brine shrimp and sometimes formula 1.  

Oh, I didn't have any LR for the first 3 months of my tank setup and the scooter were doing great even then.

I just got two of the two days ago. They swim for awhile but mostly hop around on the bottom. Ive feed them twice mostly frozen brine shrimp,I dont shut off my filters and they go aggresivly after food.

• 2 months later...
Greenstar56

Dawn> there very cute  a good fish  for cycling your tank

Why would you (knowingly) harm a fish? The ammonia from the cycle does a great deall of damage to the fish. Cycling with a fish prolongs the cycle also. They fish is adding waste as it eat which triggers the cycle but as the bacteria colony grow it is getting more food too quickly. It is easier, and more humane, to add products and deade shrimp to the tank to trigger a cycle just my 10 cents

Archived