inTank Media Baskets

water flow: how much and direction?

grandmasterr

grandmasterr

Posted by: grandmasterr at Sat Jul 12 23:18:05 2003 [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ]

I have just started a 10g nano-reef and have a question about water circulation. I am using a Penguin 550 PH (145gph). I noticed several other people with this size tank using the same PH, but it seems too powerful to me. How strong of a current is needed? I am using the diffuser that came with the PH and it is directed up slightly to break the surface. Should this be directed horizontally or slightly downwards to stir up the LS instead? Also, should I have the air intake open to aerate the water?

All responses will be greatly appreciated!!

bump

the ph shouldn't be used to stir up the LS.

aimed toward the surface to churn it up a little is good tho, i.e. promote gas exchange. i wouldn't use the venturi to aerate the tank as that can get saturated with bubbles very quickly.

i prefer using a hob to help circulation, filtration, and help break the water's surface tension (with its return). having a hob and a ph is a good combo. the strong flow of the ph is slightly broken up by the hob's return flow giving oyu some random currents.

Archived