SaltCritters.com

What do I do now???

cuteios

Ok guys,

The tank has been up for about a month now, give or take a couple of days. My diatoms have started to die down and I think I noticed some new coraline growing on one of the rocks. Question is where do I go from there? Do you think I'd be safe adding a cleanup crew in there yet? The temp has held pretty stable at a high 84-86 range...but still considerable better than the 90+F that I was getting before. Or maybe I can go get a replacement for my little Damsel that I found rug surfing? I haven't gotten around to testing anything since frankly I didn't get a chance to pick up the test kit I wanted before I went broke. Too many things to pay for right now. Should I just let things be for a few more weeks to make sure that everything is all set even without testing. I've notice an increase in the number of feather dusters in the past few weeks, and there are a couple of polyps on the LR that I've had in there since day one which have started to grow I think.

If I were ready for a cleanup crew what would you guys suggest the makeup of the crew be? Please be specific.

Thanks

I would test the water first, then I would do a 25% water change after everything seems good I would put a few smaller snails in. I personally don't like crabs in my tanks so all I have are snails.

For the sand you could always sprinkle a little dead sand on top of the live sand to cover any diatoms, that way your sand will look bright and new again.

American Star Shell (Astraea tecta americana) are the snails I would get because that is what I have. They never fall off the rocks or glass so I don't have to worrie about picking them up.

The big Turbo snails are, well too big and they constantly fall I have never had much luck with them.

I wouldn't put a shrimp or anything else in yet. Hope this helps you any.

Archived