SaltCritters.com

Angel Fish in a Nano Reef Tank

cisco

emperors are to big ....even a dwarf angel is to big for a nano..........a 40 gallon tank is the smallest tank for dwarfs ( 1per 40 gallons) ....and 65 gallons for emperors......many angels love to nibble at corals....its a risk to put them in a reef tank.....but if u have the right size tank and don't mind replacing the odd coral then yes keep an angel

• 1 month later...

I wish you guys would stop bashing the pygmy angel for not being comfortable in small reef tanks.Your wrong!!!Ive done it several times as well as my friends. Not only did I have a flame angel but I also had an African flameback with him and they got along beautifully.This is against what the books say. My friend has a coral beauty and a flame angel in his.I also had a yellow tang ,an orchid dottyback as well all in a 30 gal tank. If anyone would like to see some pics of how it all looks just email me and I can send pics.I also had a 10 gal reef with an Atlantic pygmy ,a sebae clown a sixline wrasse and an orchid dotty back as well as corals.This ran for a long time very nicely.You judge by the pics and see how healthy they look.

I have 2 things to say about the subject. First of all I am glad that you and your friends have all had sucess keeping the animals well in your tank. Second, I for one will NOT stop bashing (as you call it) the Centropyge idea in a nano. The centropyge may work out in a nano but so might a mandarin or a dwarf lion. Despite these possibilities, I will not endorse them as reef-safe, because they are not universally sound.

If you are advanced enough to try such experiments then you won't ask abouth the posibility of keeping them in a nano anyway. You will do what you feel you can handle, right or wrong. If I were to endorse (or rather, lay off) the centropyge issue then I am inviting people less experienced to falsely believe that these fish are an easy choice. I am sure that you have read the posts. Some beginners have far fetched ideas, ands I don't want to contribute to the decline of a beautiful and expensive fish, by giving them the wrong idea.

Well I have a Centropyge acanthops (African flame back) in a 10 G right now.  He has been in there for approximately 12 hrs.  We'll see how it goes. I investigated the possiblity of a Centropyge for my tank rather thoroughly.  I wrote, and asked and asked and asked everyone I could find if a 10 G was too small and if they were reef safe and anyone worth his/her salt will tell you that any angel is a risk in a reef because you just never know.  Like people they are idiosyncratic and results often/never depend on if you are a beginner or not.   Some individual fish will nip at corals, some won't.  After years some may start.  But what I found was that C. argi and C. acanthops (along with the Brazilian fireball/flameback) were the 2 commonly recommended as my "best shots".  C. acanthops only gets to 2.8" and C. argi 3.1".  I was also told that it would probably need to be my only fish in a 10 G.  For more professional feedback you may want to write to the guys at wetwebmedia.com.  They spend all day answering just about anything anyone seems to come up with.

Good luck,

Steve

Wetwebmedia is a terrific site and I find your information to be accurate. The best behaved ones are those that you mentioned and survival is not a problem. I still find the centropyge to be unacceptable due to the long term effects of such a small volume of water on the fish. It is a beautiful and expensive specimen that deserves more space than a few gallons. I didn't hear this mentioned in your research so I hope you just left it out. Regardless of size centropyges should not be introduced into a tank until it has been well established (6 months or so). I certainly hope that that is the case with you, and I also hope you plan on relocating this fish to a larger tank after a while.

My main concern was that the Centropyge I was interested in would want more room and may get bored and therefore more prone to nip at corals in only a ten gallon; a number of people I talked both locally and at wetweb said that shouldn't be much of a problem.  I am sure I will start a larger tank soon because I can't stop finding cool thing I want to try and a 10 G is just too small.  To put that off with respect to the angel I bought the smallest speciment I could find (1.25"); quite a cute little guy.  He is mostly being shy and hanging around the back of the live rock but comes out overy minute or so to swim around or nip at some feather Caulerpa.

The tank is not yet 2 mos. old, but was seeded with all cured live rock (22-30lbs now with the pieces attached so corals I have).  Things seem to be going swimmingly........

Steve

• 1 month later...
Greenstar56

a Yellow tang is cruel in a 30. Maybe people in the books are right, but just because they live by no means are they happy. I will steal val's example here: you cna keep a great dame in a dark closet alive but is it happy?

just an opinion

thegr8tdane

Ya know I'm a little late to join in, but I agree with Pulpsmack. I've done my own research on the subject of cool fish that Pulpsmack says we can't have. Lions, puffers, cubicus, tangs, dwarf angels, scooters, mandrins, etc., and he's pretty much on the money. Yes there are some exceptions and they are just that. Sometimes we want something soo bad because it's soo cool that we ask for advice and then only hear what we want to. I've done it with Fish04 in a lighting question. Look it up. I sound like a complete Moron. :)

I suggest a step back from the issue, then more research with an open mind (including your fellow reffer's advice that you are asking for, but perhaps not listing to, that have alread tried, wanted to, researched on...) before anyone does anything that their mind feverishly wants but thier gut is giving them a uneasy feeling you should just wait awhile. Time for the fever to pass and logic to come back before you make your decision. You'd be surprised how time and reflection on past thoughts change.

Anyhow I hope that helps. It's only my 2 cents!

• 1 year later...
Kingfisher 0

I have just introduced an emporror angel to my 110gallon reef system I am keeping him well fed and at this piont in time he aint causing any problems in my tank. Iwas wondering iff there was any other reefers out there who have tried this that may be able to give me a few tips cheers.

Archived