Coral Vue Hydros

Where can I get LR for West Coast?

MrKrispy

Hey all,

We were discussing the poor Live Rock here in San Diego, which bummed me out because now I have to have some shipped. Can anyone recommend a good place online to get live rock that is close to California so I don't pay 100% extra for shipping?

I need uncured LR if it matters (new tank).

Thanks!

exoticfish.com lets you cherry pick.

there's a couple of other places (by LAX) but i'll let the cali people comment since i have no comprehension of distances there.

edit: that emoticon wasn't supposed to be there, it's supposed to read ( LAX ). i don't want any LA'ers to be ####ed at me ;)

I would say exoticfish.com to.

You could drive there from San diego. Less than 2 hours away.

You should call them (ask for jeff if possible) and ask them when there getting a shipment of some rock in so you don't end up getting the rock thats been sitting in boxes in there warehouse for days....ask them how the rock quality is to.

ELGORDOINAVW

hey mr krispy, i go to jeff's all the time and i'm here in S.D.,

aquatic warehouse has some fairly nice stuff only it's like $8.00 a pound!!! well if you are rich the phone number is 858-467-9297 it's on the 163 & 15 fwy.

the next option is tri-city tropical in vista their number is 760-631-1532 the lr there is about $5.75 a pound.

another option is octopuss garden down the street from aquatic warehouse, the number is 858-576-7449,

also in the city of long beach there is ocean life they are only open weekdays they sell rock for $2.00 a pound nice stuff but not really live, could use a few pounds of live stuff to seed this stuff, there number is 562-901-1400

well if you have any further questions pm or just post.

oh yeah, as far as jeff's goes they have tanks where you can cherry pick the pieces you want, or you can buy 50 pounds for like $89.00 basically thats the stuff in the box what you get are a few nice show pieces and the rest is just ok and base rock. i always cherry pick my pieces and it's only $2.25 ish, can't remember the exact price.

Exoitc fish.com looks pretty good, I can get my live sand there too. There appears to be a good selection, Marshall, Fiji, and Tonga not that I have any idea which one is actually better.

There is a guy on E-bay selling live rock for $70/lb, Tonga, includes shipping, would save me a trip....

Thanks for the advice everyone!

If you do make it up to LA, I can recommend Aquatic Outlet near LAX: www.aquaticoutlet.com . It is basically a distribution center that operates as a retail outlet. I recommend it because it is ONE-STOP SHOPPING which in SoCal (where it is not unusual to spend all day driving around) is God's greatest gift. Their selection is sooooo huge that you will be able to find exactly what you need in one trip. The staff, which is always busy acclimating sealife or bagging it back up to be shipped, is very helpful and knowledgeable.

I hope you do find a good place in SD tho....good luck!!!

I think I am just going to go up to Jeff's Exotic Fish. I would prefer to hand pick the stuff, seeing that I will be spending $100. The over-priced Tonga at Aquatic Warehouse didn't look that great this week, and they don't have live sand either.

Anyone know about Live Rock (and quality/price) at Octopuss Garden? I have never been there.

ucsd reefer

Is Aquatic Warehouse the fish store on convoy next to the restaurant, Chopstix? Also, I haven't really looked around that many LFS in SD...you have any recommendations Krispy?

Just to clarify since it seems a bit confusing. I started my nano up in norcal this summer but I will be heading back down to SD in Sept. Just tryin to get a heads up on the LFS down there.

Thanks!

-Mike

The LFS next to Chopstix (excellent Japanese food!) is Clairemont Tropical Fish. They did a renovation about a year ago for the marine area, but I don't know much about the place other than I rarely can get service.

I usually go to Aquatic Warehouse, great displays and the people have always been really helpful. Fountains in La Mesa has a good variety of stuff but sometimes the fish look a little haggard.

Pet kingdom has a very large selection of stuff, prices aren't very good on equipment, don't know about the live marine stuff I haven't bought any there.

I looked at LR at both stores. Aquatic Warehouse LR was VERY expensive and didn't have any visible coraline. Pet Kingdom had some coralline on many pieces, but in general the rocks didn't look great, no critters for sure. The tank is about 300g, no circulation and no lights. It looked like someone dumped ashes all over the rocks! Ugh.

I haven't been to any other stores, so check those places out. Congrats on coming back to SD! :)

Hey peeps, I'm new to the board and just adding my 2cents to some posts. Have you tried Goldfish World on Convoy? (Located by Burger King/Carl's Jr.) I've bought Fijian LR from them awhile back. Had some nice purple and maroon colored pieces. But, I don't know the quality of the shipments now. Check it out. Seems as they've been cutting down on selling SW fishes but maybe you might find something.

Also, I recently checked Clairemont Tropicals to look for some items only to find out they no longer exist at that Convoy location. Anyone know where they've gone? Anyways, drove down the street to where supposedly Octopuss's Garden is located and couldn't find it. Can someone key me in to where they are exactly?

I haven't seen Goldfish world, I will try to get in there and see what they have.

I am surprised to hear than Clairemont Trop. is gone. They just had a big renovation a year ago or so. I don't have any idea where Octopuss Garden is either, I have never heard of it until this board...

Archived