ReefCleaners.org

crab fishing (part II)

offsprg01

ok so here's the story, i caught the last myster crab last week by fishing for it. then my lil sis decided to put him back in the tank. (i was not there when she decided to do this)

since then he has learned to simply run up grab a peice of the shrimp and run away. i can't get him to hang on long enough for me to snag him out of the tank. (smart little bugger he be)

so i built a crap trap out of a 20oz coke bottle. (cleaned of course) now i'm gonna try my hand a trappin his punk @$$. one question. how do i put the bottle in the tank? just lay it sideways on the bottom? if so i don't think it's gonna trap hime becuase he's big eoung to reach the hole in the neck of the bottle. so i was thinking about standing it on end. will this work?

how about the glass cup technique? lean a glass cup against a part of your LR letting the crab know the food is inside. it'll scamper up the LR over the edge of the glass (in theory) and fall in. the glass is too smooth for it to climb back out.

disclaimer: this doesn't always work and is hella difficult with fish in the same tank. thieving lil' bastages.

no dice on that one bro. he climbs the back glass to get into the hob from time to time. i dunno how but that's the only way up there as it is setup like a surface skimmer.

i might try it just the same it can't hurt.

hmmm, sounds like a predatory swimming crab. :o

unless there's some coralline on the back glass or up the hob intake, those are the only ways i can think of other than it's a swimming (~predator) crab.

what's the back legs look like? sharp claws or flat flippers?

nope he does not swim. i think he's like Spider Crab or something. he's just f'in wierd. he looks pretty plain just a regular old crab with a shiny shell and spots. he's got purple or pink claws. and he's getting freakin HUGE! he's shell looks like he waxes and buffs it every morning. you can see the lights reflect off of it. it's freaking wierd.

Archived