Coral Vue Hydros

Painting BOT

JohnnyMTB

What type of paint do you use on the back of your tanks. I've seen my sister do some stuff with a "stained glass" paint, I know all the equipment would be visible with this, but it would probably add a neat blue shimmer. She said you can get it in a frosted blue also. BTW, my tank is glass.

Thanks,

John

it will adhear to glass it just comes off easier. i say let your sis do the stained glass thing. it would look much sweeter that a flat blue or black background.

I think I might try the stained glass paint. One bonus- if corals fall off and end up in back of tank I'll be able to see through it to fish them out.

Seabass hit it right on the head. I was looking for superglue gel in a larger quantity at Hobby Lobby and ran across Krylon Fusion. This paint comes in midnight blue and is specifically designed to bond to hard to paint surfaces (plastic, glass, etc).

I painted the back of my 20 long this week and it looks beautiful. Fast dry time, solid coverage, just awesome.

HTH!

Yeah, I followed that link & it looks pretty good. Check out their "Mystique" paint. It comes in a dark purple-blue and color shifts like that auto paint they were using on the Mustangs. That might be interesting.... some 20's, some neon, big woofers, slam the tank on the ground...

The stained glass paint? Dunno, my sisters up in Atlanta, I'll call her tonight and ask about it but I assume it would be in any craft store. Not even sure what a craft store is, I'll check out Home Depot too.

wal mart has it. it be expensive......wait never mid we're talking glass boxes full of salty water and mold rocks......the paints cheep probably the cheapest thing you could buy.

The stained glass paint? Dunno, my sisters up in Atlanta, I'll call her tonight and ask about it but I assume it would be in any craft store. Not even sure what a craft store is, I'll check out Home Depot too.

Krylon Fusion spray paint can be found at many:

Ace Hardware Stores

Anderson Paint & Decorating

Army and Air Force Exchange Service

Autozone

Beverly Fabric Inc.

Carter Lumber

Chase Pitkin

Coast to Coast Hardware

Conway Paint & Wallcovering

Do It Best Stores

Duckwall Alco

Eckerd Drug

Frank's Nursery & Craft

Fred Meyer

Hobby Lobby

I&J Print and Sign Supplies

Jo-Ann Etc.

Jo-Ann Fabric & Crafts

Kmart

Marvin's Menards

Michaels Stores

Navy Exchange

Parts America

Pat Catan's

Pearl Paint

Rag Shops

Rite Aid Corporation

Roses

Scotty's

Sears

Sherwin Williams Stores

True Value

Valu Home Centers

Wal-Mart

Western Auto

Most people paint the backs of their tanks before they fill it; however, you can paint a full tank if you are careful masking off the trim and covering the top. Instead of painting, I had Kinko’s laminate a piece of black construction paper for my background (it's cheap and it makes it easy to change colors if you want).

i painted a piece of plastic (a cheap parking sign) for a non-permanent background wall. there is also a quarter inch gap between that and the glass that allows me to hide tubing and wires. 4 layers of 3M mounting tape hold it in place and maintain the gap...used krylon spray after cleaning the plastic with baking soda.

fbe16d2e.jpgfbe16d32.jpg

ELGORDOINAVW

i just went to home depot got a quart of interior paint, picked out a color i wanted, asked them to mix it and bamm, the color i want. let it dry and got a can of clear gloss sprayed it on and now you would have to have a chisel to remove it ( it's not that haard to take off, just trying to show that it won't scratch easy)

I did the old Home Depot paint too...got a quart of Glidden Evermore Interior Semi-gloss in "Ink Drop" (a really deep purple/black)....sweet color and you get more choice of custom colors if you go that route. It took about 3 coats to get good proper even color and adhesion..but it was worth the day it took to put it on....it scratches a bit easily..but a quart is enough to paint about 5000 aquariums..lol..so you've got plenty for touchups. May try clear-coating it to see if that improves the durability..but really..how often are YOU messing around behind your tank? (in the tank is one thing..but I hardly ever go behind mine)

Ok, went to Michael's (thanks Seabass!) and found all kinds of glass paint. Ended up going with a frosted deep blue- looks just like a weathered bottle you'd find at the beach--- from the back of the tank. Looking through the front glass it's just a regular blue. Oh well, at least since it's glass paint it won't scratch off as easy as a regular latex.

$6.00- paint

$8.00- 10g tank

complete nano- priceless

Thanks for everyones help,

John

Archived