Top Shelf Aquatics

dammit..my picassos got brooks

moonlightxpress825

moonlightxpress825

after reading some posts on brooks..my picassos seem to have a case of it...just wondering ,,can the fish itself fight it without treatment , i really dont want to stress them out by taking it out and treating and dipping ..they still have a strong appetite and i was hoping they can fight it without me doing anything except try to keep the water as clean as possible..thanks in advance...

I would treat them ASAP, I lost one of my naked clowns to brook and we thought we had caught it early.

Here is a writeup that I followed to treat him, there are many different opinions on how to treat it, time for some research.

IMO, the best treatment for Brooklynella is Formalin, either as a bath or prolonged immersion. I follow these procedures;

Bath: 0.50 – 1.0 ml per gallon of saltwater for up to 60 minutes. Aerate vigorously. Repeat 3 times a day until control is achieved.

Immersion: 0.05 – 0.10 ml per gallon of saltwater. Aerate vigorously. 50% water change after 24 hours. Repeat until control is achieved.

A freshwater bath or prolonged immersion can be effective if the fish is not already stressed or open wounds are present. Not all species of fish* tolerate low salinity well and this treatment can sometimes cause more harm than it cures.

Bath: Water must be dechlorinated, aerated, and same pH as tank. Bathe fish for 3 to 15 minutes. Remove fish if stressed. Repeat daily until control is achieved.

Immersion: Reduce salinity by 5-10 ppt per day until salinity is 14 ppt (1.010 specific gravity). Observe for hyperactivity, i.e. stress, as some fish* don’t tolerate this well. If at any point stress is observed, stop salinity reduction for a couple of days. If stress is resolved, continue the procedure. Return the tank to normal salinity is 3-4 weeks.

* butterflies, angels, cardinals, groupers, wrasses, gobies, blennies, lions

Be mindful of secondary bacterial infections. Appropriate antibiotic use via medicated foods and/or prolonged immersion is often necessary.

Whenever possible I chose to employ prolonged immersion techniques as they are much less stressful to the fish and in my experience have the highest success of cures.

Brooklynella is a very frequently seen disease but is often incorrectly identified and treated. It is not limited only to clowns and cares naught if a fish is aquacultured. As with most diseases, Brooklynella parasites can remain at low levels on healthy fish indefinitely. When a fish’s immune system is compromised by stress an infestation is likely to occur.

Ouch, I am really sorry to hear that. No, the clown can not fight it on its own. i purchased a maroon with brook and it didn't end well. It happens so fast so you need to get on top of it right away.

here is a thread when I had it happen to me, hopefully there is something in there that can help you. Good luck!

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...c=132290&hl=

after reading some posts on brooks..my picassos seem to have a case of it...just wondering ,,can the fish itself fight it without treatment , i really dont want to stress them out by taking it out and treating and dipping ..they still have a strong appetite and i was hoping they can fight it without me doing anything except try to keep the water as clean as possible..thanks in advance...

treat asap. it will not survive brooks

moonlightxpress825
You need to jump on this right away. It is highly virulent and can kill within hours.

thanks everyone for your input..so discouraging..thanks again....

Archived