Cultivated Reef

Bangaii and Current

Kapelakin

I added a Bangaii cardianal to my 20L yesterday, and he seems to be having a hard time with the current.  I didn't think about it, since they're kept in so many types of reef aquariums, but when I think about it, it makes sense that current wouldn't be very compatible with their habit of hovering in mid-water.  I'm running a MaxiJet 600 (160 GPH), and a Mini Jet that's probably pushing about 80 GPH.  Poor guy looked like he was weathering a hurricane, and was hiding under a rock, so I unplugged the MiniJet and repositioned the MaxiJet.  He looks a little better now, but is still in refuge in a protected cave.

Just wondering how much flow Bangaii owners have in their tanks.  Tank size, flow rate, number of powerheads, and behavior of the fish would be appreciated.  Thanks!

I have a 25 tall with 2x RIO 400 and 1 Mini-Jet 400. The Rios are positioned in the top rear corners shooting at an angle to the middle, the Mini is on the back glass and shoots right at the front.

My Bangaii seems to do fine in it. When he ventures up to the top he does get moved about a bit but not too much and there are plenty of places for him to hover in.

Hope this help.

Here's my first ASCII drawing:

|  []   []                    [skim rtn]                         []  |

|    ||                                                            ||  |

|    ~ ^                                                           //   |

|                                                                    ~    |

|_____________________________________|

From left to right:

RIO 400, MiniJet, Skimmer Return, Rio 400

I have the angled duckbill adapters on the Rios so they kind of point towards the center of the front glass.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Thanks for the reply.  He seems to be doing much better now, though he's still not front and center like cardinals usually are in reefs.  I think he was just shocked from going from a low-flow tank at the LFS, where he'd been for a few weeks.  

Thanks again, and well done on the drawing! :)

Archived