Top Shelf Aquatics

Sleepyhead? In Shock? Stress? or Sick?

BorgDrone

Hello all,

Not sure what cause this, yesterday around 4am, when I flipped on the room light, I saw my perc clown swimming up and down in zig zag fashion like touching the surface of the tank then down to the sand and back up again and he would bump into the tank wall frequently - my 4.6 gal Alife tank has been placed in the kitchen. But by yesterday evening when I got home, I noticed he was swimming normally. No sign of overfed symptoms or parasites growing on him like his predecessors. pH was normal, salinity was normal. This morning around 4am again, I tried turning on the adjacent room light and noticed he was swimming normally and not crashing into walls or sand. Was that weird behavior caused by shock of bright light and perhaps he was bumping into the wall or sand and all because he sorta got temporarily "blinded"? Thanks.

We're very humorous here, I was going to jump on this one or let the others do it, but I saw from your other posts that you have been diligently doing your research, that's very commendable. (I jumped on your other post before i saw this one though)

Yes, i think the fish was just disturbed by the sudden light. Most new livestock will be shy or on a hair trigger, most will take at least a couple of days to settle down.

People with more elaborate setups have dimmable lights that simulate sun up and down. But most people don't.

Have you seen Nemo? Try it, I hope you'll walk out of the show with more peace of mind like Nemo's dad. :)

I think he was just crashed out!

Mine swims real slowly near the surface (in the corner), or by the pick up tube for the pump and does the same sort of lazy back and forth kinda thing. As long as he does't do it during the day when the lights are on, you're fine! It really freaked me out when both of my Clowns looked like they were floating when the lights went off. Untill they did it every night!

Archived