Coral Vue Hydros

150W VS Depth

13eardy

hey guys and gals! longs time since i posted round here thought I may aswell become PART of the community,

got a Q for all ur knowledgable brains out there! (flattery gets you everywhere right?)

what would be most light demanding coral/invert I could keep under a 150w metal halide on a 21 inch deep tank, at a shove I could probably upgrade to 250W but as this is a package deal I will have to nag my backside off!

A big hello too you all I look forward to posting here!

depending on the placement, I would say you could keep just about anything.

How far off the water is the light?

If we're talking a matter of 6 inches off the top of the water, you shouldn't have a problem keeping any of the high light corals or clams. I would make sure your water paramters are all good before trying them tho. I popped a few sps corals into my tank to test their pleasure with the lights (two 150's and a 55 watt actinic) and three montipora frags are opened, one larger one is just starting to open up after some death and my acro is not looking great. did a test and found my calcium to be frighteningly low for a new tank with very little in it).

well I can have any distant that I like as its on a pendant system :) 6 inches sounds good, its a 21.5 inch cube tank so I should think that 1x 150w will give plenty of light spread?

It should give plenty of light. Just place the light lovers up high and things should be ok.

My 150's burn kinda yellow (10k) bulbs and my 55 watt actinic does very little to soften the yellow so I am thinking of popping 20k's in or just one and seeing how that works.

yeah id enjoy seeing that too as it will guide me on what K bulb to get :) thanks for all the help!

Archived