ReefCleaners.org

Sump System

eddie29

Hello,

I just started my 10 gallon nano tank about 3 weeks ago. My knowledge mostly comes from my freshwater background. For a filtration system I have always used HOB because the freshwater planted systems with co2 injection the less water movement the better. Well I got this 10 gallon nano tank that I want to get a sump/ref system started for. I got this old 2.5 gallon tank that i was thinking on using for this project. My first question is, what kind of design do you suggest? I've spent hours trying to find a good plan on the internet but they are confusing to me. Second, what size pump should I use on this project? Third, which is probably the most confusing. I know that if I want bulkheads I need to get the glass drilled. This is something I rather avoid because I already for the tank up, I've seen overflow systems that might help me with this problem. Is this something you suggest or should i just purchase another 10 gallon tank, get that drilled, move the fish and make the new 10 gallon my new nano? Or is that just too much work.

Thanks

Eddie

Just drill the one you have already. I was surprised how easy it really is...

I have done a lot of drilling and have a full stash of diamond bits and a few dozen bulkheads laying around the shop. But today I needed a 10g drilled and I loaned out my drill press. Uh oh. But I did have a flexi shaft dremel with a diamond tip ($5) laying around as well. First I traced a ring on the glass using the bulkhead itself and a sharpie marker. Then I just grinded away for about 5 minutes. I placed the tank in the laundry tub with running cold water over it while just grinding away the hole. The hole ended up being pretty jagged (edit - not jagged as in sharp, just uneven), but at no point did I feel that the glass would crack. The jagged edges are covered up by the bulkhead anyways. I was surprised how simple and easy it was to do, and never came near to cracking the glass. Now I have another 10gallon fry raising tank plumbed into my rack system of tanks...dang easy.

Not that it needs confirmation, but I have used this same technique (Dremel w/diamond bit) on a 2.5 aga and it works exactly as stated.

Eddie 29, I feel the same way, in that, all the sites that i have encountered do a lousy job explaining the basics of a diy sump. I've found hundreds of sites that explain how to make a hood which have great pictures and explanations. If you find one let me know. -JB

Really, heres one of many out there that talks about sump basics. Explains the basics and shows some of his examples. Plus once you have an idea send the diagram here and ask for comments, usually will get a lot of feedback and catch errors you may have overlooked.

Archived