Top Shelf Aquatics

How much current??

mazultav

Ugh..flow...the only answer is "more than you think". Flow is tricky because its more dependant on type than amount. Generally you need a ton of flow bouncing off rock and tank walls to create the right amount of swirling, chaotic flow in the middle of the tank. Laminar (straightline) flow is bad for corals....

bump

typical recommendations are around 10x volume. i prefer slightly higher but with multiple sources (e.g. 2 x 75gph PH's for a 10g). a hob and at least one small PH would be good for a 10g ime. also remember your aquascaping will significantly determine your flow dynamics as well.

i'd disagree with the blanket laminar flow statement. an alternating or timed laminar flow replicates the surging waves and can be very good dynamically and visually. true, this won't particularly help some corals (usually the softies) but it would be beneficial to others (usually the stonys). i agree, generally speaking a laminar flow is not recommended.

all livestock need some significant degree of circulation to aid their own respiration, circulation (internal), excretion, ingestion, reproduction, etc.

on the other hand, i do agree that a chaotic flow pattern like deimos recommends is a good blanket statement.

Archived