ReefCleaners.org

cleaning crew when tank is ready...

swampy

I wanted a bit of advice on a cleaning crew for my 29 gallon reef tank. I was looking at live aquaria.com and came across these pre designed packages and wanted to know what you all thought. Here is the link https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...d=25&pCatId=520

I was also thinking of a scarlet and peppermint shrimp as well. Any opinions???

I will not be ready to do this until the tank cycles (4-6 weeks).

Thanks in advance!

Swampy

tank specs:

29 gallon

34 lbs of LR

1.023 salinity

have not tested for other stuff since the tank is only several days old

I do not have experience with this package, but you can look up what people's opinions and experiences are for this product by using the product name to search this or other reef forums.

My guess is, use this package only if you have big time algae problems. Also, you have to think about what will happen to them if the algae runs out. Do they need to be fed or what?

A reef tank is a mini ecosystem that you are trying to balance, you should avoid big changes and think about how each thing you add will affect the balance.

If you do have algae problems, perhaps you could introduce a couple critters at a time until the producer and consumer balance each other out.

But looking at your posts, you're stocking a new tank. So dumping a package is ok because you're not disturbing an existing balanced ecosystem.

You can also research the personalities of each of these critters, since you're getting 40 of them, be aware of any dark sides of each. E.g. turbos can get big. Hermits are known to kill under certain circumstances, they need shell replacements. etc etc.

I'd pass on that cleanup crew. I have 1 of those mexican turbo snails (or tapestry snail) in my 15. He's quick and he eats alot. And he's big. He's constantly knocking stuff over. 13 of them in a 29 is WAY too much in my opinion. A good thing to do with cleanup crews is get a variety. What one snail passes up, another might eat. Also, margarita snails don't usually do well in aquariums. 27 hermit crabs - WAY too much for a tank with nothing in it yet. I would think that they would starve unless they're tiny. I'd shoot for just a few.

I would suggest getting a bunch of cerith snails, some trochus snails, and maybe a couple turbos. I'd wait on the turbos till you think you have an algae problem. a few nassarius snails are good to have too, in case something dies they'll be all over it. With ceriths, I'd stay away from large blue leg hermits but scarlets and small hermits are probably OK. Emerald crabs are pretty handy to have around too when they're small.

I'd wait on the peppermint shrimp unless you have an aptasia problem. You can always get one later on.

Also, be wary of buying starfish and urchins. Some species are not reef safe.

If you don't have anywhere locally to buy cleanup critters, there are some online vendors that let you choose what to get instead of a predetermined package.

Oh, you struck a chord! I remember that diversity is always good for a ecosystem. I think its good for tanks too.

Besides, it makes your tank more interesting.

To reinforce what Korbin said. The worse thing that could happen with a snail overpopulation is they can knock things over. But hermits can really go on a killing rampage.

Oh, one more thing also. Your big clean up crew can also compete for food with some other nice critters that you want to buy down the road.

I don't agree about 13 turbos being too much for a 29...I've got 15 turbos, 6 astreas, and about 16 Nassarius snails in my 29..then again..I did forgo getting any hermits..as in my mind..their downside far outweighs their upside. Yes, turbos are big clumsy oafs..but they also friggin pack away the algae...and my tank has very little visible algae of any sorts..(only scrape the front glass about twice a week)..I haven't found any other snails to eat quite as much as a turbo of similar size.

Thanks all for the responses! Korbin (or anyone else) what are some of the online sites that you would recommend getting stuff from?

Thanks!

Swampy

premium aquatics has a good rep. I've ordered from them. They sort of F-ed up my order, but credited me.

You can find others if you do a search on RC. I can't think of the names off hand. Oh, and I'd suggest avoiding astrea snails. They're cheap, but they're wimpy.

Deimos: do you feed your turbos nori or anything? I always wonder if my snails are starving. Sometimes I don't scrape the glass for a couple weeks so they can have a snack.:)

Archived