Cultivated Reef

Just set up nano..salt water...aragonite...when do I add live sand?????

NanoBound

I just finished starting up my tank (10gl.). My question is how long do i wait to get an acurate reading on the salinity to add the live sand? I was only able to get 1lb of it today. As for the live rock, well to my amazement a lfs is ordering me in some(20lbs.), but it will be 2 weeks before it arrives. I put the salt straight into the tank, but I am getting different reading each time, probably do to it not being premixed. So how long will it take before I can get an acurate reading? Also what about the live sand I have setting here? Thanks!!!!

harbingerofthefish

I'll assume the LS is still in water. If not...it's not live anymore. Honestly, dump the LS you have in the tank now. It's better than it sitting around and dying on you. The salinity swings shouldn't be a big problem for most of the bacteria in there.

It was in plently of water from the lfs. I went ahead and dumped it in. I just did a water test to start my charts with and here was the readings.

Ammonia, nitraite, nitrate ( 0) of coarse

pH ( 8.3)

Alkalinity 180ppm or 3.5 Meg/L

Anything wrong here? I don't have any other test at the time, but I will be purchasing they very very soon, maybe tomarrow.

It looks fine. If you are using a swing arm hydrometer take it to the LFS and check it against a refractometer. Swingarms are know to often be off a bit, check it then you can compensate for the differencce.

Thats what I am a using...lol. I will be getting a digital one soon. I have been looking at them on ebay try to catch the good deal. Thanks

Archived