Pod Your Reef

macro algae

penguin87

is it good? i know that it is nuisance algae, but i see alot of people keeping it in their sump, and i see it for sale at the lfs. is it some type of filter or what? please help, because I DON'T KNOW!:x excuse me. i throw up when i get angrily confused. it's a bad problem, but anyway.... yea, a response would be helpful, so thanks to all for your helpful helpfulness.

ELGORDOINAVW

penguin87, macro algae is beneficial for several reasons 1.they help consume nitrates, therefore lowering your nitrates 2. they provide a safe place for pods to live and breed, once again being beneficial because it will provide food for your fish and corals 3. they keep your ph from fluctuating alot when used on a reverse light cycle (basically when your main tank lights go off, your fuge lights go on) what happens is when the lights go off corals produce carbon dioxide, which raises ph. but when the macro is lit it consumes some of the co2 therefore keeping a more stable ph. well i hope this is helpful and i would also try doing a search on the website.

Archived