Innovative Marine Aquariums

What lights for REFUGIUM/SUMP?

Vincerama

I hate to say it, but my nano-experiment has become an algae farm. :(

Also, I think my 10g is too crowded, so I've decided to add a 10g sump to the system. I've built and tested an overflow box already and am awaiting the pump to show up in the mail.

So, I'm hoping that I don't really need a full set of lights on this thing just to run as a sump/fuge. I think I might put some of my LR into it, since I think I am crowding the main tank.

Will LR do OK with just a 15W fluorescent (Since it's a sump/fuge, I don't plan on growing coral in the fuge, I just want to add some aragontie sand, and some extra LR and hope that pods grow in there...

V

give'em (pods) a place to live and they will come/grow.

remember they're crustaceans so you'll have to address their needs in that regard (ca/alk for their shells).

the LR doesn't need light per se but the mini-ecosystem you want that makes the LR 'live' will. light still powers the whole food cycle, unless you want to start eating a LOT of beans to help kickstart a H2S food cycle! :x

as long as the light provides proper PAR radiation to enable the flora to live/eat you have the right elements to start. now don't forget everything else tho: water flow, temp, salinity, wc's, maintenance, etc.

are you somehow expecting the pods to help with the algae or is that two completely different topics you were talking about? ???

btw what's in your algae farm? :P crab-crab here, snail-snail there, fish-fish here, coral-coral there...

More like "algae-algae here, dead snaily snaily there, here a crab, there a dead crab, everywhere an algae bloom"

The sump/fuge will be lit and will be home to my skimmer, heater and maybe HOB, unless I leave that on the main tank!

I will drop kalkwasser into it, rather than the main tank, and a few pieces of LR will live in it on top of a big pile or aragonite sand. Probably toss a few hermits/snails in too.

V

you could swap out some of the algae-infested LR in the main tank into the sump/fuge. you'd get to shop for some new choice pieces for the display and the algae is a very good habitat for microfauna. e-i-e-i-ooooo!

Archived