Innovative Marine Aquariums

Regular firerfish and purple firefish

Korbin

Im still considering fish options for my 12 gallon, and I was wodering if 1 firefish would be compatable with 1 purple firefish.   Would they fight?  

Also, would multiple firefish do well in a 12 gallon in general?  Or should they be kept alone.

In general, firefish will fight to the death until there is only 1.  Unless, they are a mated pair.  If you have a male and add a female he will usually kill her anyway, they need to be added at the same time.

I don't know about mixing species.

In addition to my nanoreef, I have a couple of FO aquariums.  In my 28g, I have several gobies, including a Zebra Goby (Ptereleotris zebra), a Scissor Tail (Ptereleotris evides), a Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora), and a regular Firefish (Nemateleotris magnifica).  All of the gobies seem to get along very well, and I haven't seen any sign of fin nipping or fighting.  

Anyway, that is my experience.  I hope it's helpful.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I've had my 2 Firefish gobies for a while now in my 29g tank and I haven't had any problems with them being aggressive towards each other. They just swim in the middle of the tank and hide at night.

• 8 months later...

any idea on how to add a firefish to a 25 gallon tank with one already in it? tried it and the newcomer got beat up. will adding 2 at a time help at all?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived