Coral Vue Hydros

Which shrimp?

peppermint22

peppermint22

Hello everyone! It's my very first time with saltwater aquariums. My 5 gallon tank is 2 weeks old now and I am thinking of getting a shrimp as a clean-up crew. I've browsed thru' all the shrimps available at my LFS, and they have:

1. Coral Banded Shrimp

2. Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp

3. Blood Shrimp

4. Camel shrimp

I don't know which is best for my aquarium. Can someone please help me??

EdgeKrusher

I would get the scarlet cleaner, or a peppermint shrimp. both are very peaceful, and both have unique traits. The peppermint will eat your aiptasia if you have any, but is also a great scavenger. And the Scarlet Cleaner will keep your fish free of parasites, also a very good scavenger. The Coral banded, IME, is one mean shrimp, it will kill the other shrimp in the tank, and may attack fish. I had a Coral Banded, and decided to get rid of it when it attacked my Ocellaris Clown. just my 2 cents

With a name like peppermint22, I'm surprised that you aren't looking at a Peppermint shrimp. I have a Blood (Fire) shrimp in my 7-gallon; it's very cool. I think Scarlet (Skunk) Cleaner shrimp are about the same. I'd personally stay away from the Camel and Coral Banded shrimp. Note that shrimp are not small creatures, my Fire shrimp looks huge in my tank.

Coral Bandits the size of a silver dollar are ok IMO. mine tries to catch things and it's funny cuz its reaction time is about 5 seconds off. at that size they are too fragile to cause any distruction

peppermint22

U see, my LFS doesn't supply peppermint shrimp. I'm thousands of nautical miles away from the Caribbean. Of course I'd love to own one. :(

I have had enough problems with the camel and coral banded shrimp. The coral banded shrimp attacked my common clowns so I exchanged him for something else. Next, I got a camel shrimp, but to my disappointment, he devoured my baby anemone and feather-dusters. So, I had to get rid of him. :-*

Without the shrimp around, the aquarium dosn't look quite the same anymore. And besides, I need something to help me clean the aquarium. I was just wondering how big the blood shrimp and the scarlet cleaner shrimp grow to. :unsure:

Well then I'm better off since I only have a fish only, I'll go for a cleaner on wed when the LFS opens. Still a loss of life and a waste of cash for 5 hours of rock sitting :(

Peppermint shrimp are cool. I have two and they eat almost anything. Cleaner looks cool too but I haven't had any experience with them yet. Get a sexy shrimp. One of the coolest shrimp I've seen.

peppermint22

Sexy shrimp?? Like that name a lot! (sounds horny LOL) What does it look like? Can't seem to find any good pics. Anyway, I think I'll go for a scarlet cleaner since they make better cleaners than the blood shrimp.

i would have to vote for the cleaner...but i love CBS-i had a mated pair of them and they were the coolest thing...and they have a great "stance". Claws always ready and some extra long tentacles...really a cool looking shrimp but yea they are a but mean

Archived