Cultivated Reef

7g bow, algae issue, help or normal?

mane3215

I have had my 7g bow set up for a little over two weeks now. I added a damsel about a week ago (I realize now this is a bad thing =( ). It has 12 pounds of lr and 10 pounds of ls. I have recently had a good bit of hair algae growing in there.

I have read in some places this is normal, and others that it isnt. I dont want to get a cleaning crew yet, as I dont know if my tank has cycled yet. All my readings are good, but it just seems too fast. Anyhow, is there anything I can do? I realize I can cut back on my lighting though I hate to, its a little long now, on from about 12-12.

Also what do you guys recomend stocking this puppy with critter wise. I wanted to get a fire and a cleaner shrimp, not sure on snail and hermits yet, and a porcelin crab, however now it looks like myabve I should get an emerald crab though I dont really like them. Whats your take?

Thanks, here are pics:

DSC00031.JPGDSC00030.JPG

matteo_gugliotta

I suggest to remove the damsel because it increase the bioload and it's bad if the tank it's not cycled yet.

Remove a couple of hour from your light cycle.

Wait another two weeks and then start adding a clean-up crew.

Just my opinion.

Matteo

screw that noise....get a crew! 2 weeks is more than sufficient for most 7 gallon tanks to cycle in. I'm not saying rush out and dump in $800 in Acros...but a few snails outta do the trick and clean up that algae in no time. If you don't..and wait another two weeks...that bad boy will be greener than the Grinch and you'll be scrubbing that algae by hand. If you want to ditch the damsel..feel free...but scrub that algae while you have the rocks outta the tank (yes..you'll probably have to dump the rock while you catch it...lord knows its not as bad as what I just had to do...remove most of the rock in my 29 to catch an unruly, polyp munching angel...ugh) You really have to be careful with hair algae..before you know it..its everywhere in your tank..and once it gets past a certain very low height..no snail will touch it.

HTH..

Looking good, I went through that stage too and left my light cycle at 10 hours. You can make up a batch of saltwater and scrub your rock in there. A new soft bristle toothbrush is fine for this job. You can even brush off the algae in your tank; if you do, do a water change afterward and temporarily put some floss in your filter to clear the water.

If you had Ammonia and Nitrites and now you don't, your cycle is probably complete. I personally like to bring my Nitrate levels down below 20ppm before adding additional livestock, but a Scarlet Reef hermit is hardy and will help clean things up. If you don't like Emeralds don't get one.

Add your livestock slowly. I have a Fire shrimp in my 7-gallon, but I don't feel there is room for it and a Skunk Cleaner shrimp. In addition, I keep a False Perc, 1 Blue Leg Hermit, 1 Scarlet Reef Hermit, 1 Nassarius Snail, and 1 Margarita Snail.

matteo_gugliotta:

Thanks for the info, I think I will try and get rid of the damsel, anyone want one? I dont want to kill the little fellah.

Deimos:

Ahhh, I love to hear that, I am dying to get a crew in there. I am going crazy waiting. I think the cycle is through to be honest, just wanted to be safe. It will still be some time before I stock with corals.

seabass:

Thanks for the comp, I dread going in there with a tb, it took me like 4 hours to get the rocks just right =).

I did have ammonia and trites, and now they are undetectable, so I think it is complete.

Do porcelin crabs eat anything? I beleive they are just filter feeders.

How does your fire shrimp do? Would you rather have another type? Does he help clean the tank up? I was also looking at a false perc, and maybe a neon blue goby.

Thanks for all the help. Now to get that crew, it will probably be a week until its here anyhow.

You should be able to brush your rocks without moving them, then do a partial water change and/or temporarily put in a filter cartridge to clear up your water.

Porcelain Anemone Crabs are not good scavengers like Hermits, but they are cool. They eat planktonic food and mucus from the anemone (supplemented with tablet food placed next to the anemone).

I really like my Fire shrimp; they exhibit the characteristics of Scarlet Cleaners, but I prefer the appearance of Fire shrimp. If I had to replace my shrimp, I’d probably get another Fire shrimp. In addition, it eats the same food (Formula One frozen and pellets) that I feed my Clownfish. It does a great job cleaning up what falls to the bottom and even swims upside down to eat when I feed flakes.

Like many cleaner shrimp, my Fire shrimp tries to clean my hand when I move things around. My False Perc gets in on the act and pecks at stuff that I’m holding, then swims in and out of my hand (and he used to be shy). I’m also thinking about adding a Goby. I almost picked up a little Clown Goby Citrin tonight.

Have you been to minibow.com.... Check it out and see what other AGA 7's owners are doing and their is a forum where we post pictures and stuff.

Also heard that AGA is making a 16 gallon bow front to fill the spot between the 7 and 29.

Thanks rklutts, I have been there great site. I scrubbed it all off with the toothbrush last night, added some critters today.

I may have to upgrade tot he 16g when it comes out, I thought the 7 would do, but I want so much stuff its hard to hold me over =).

Archived